Clematis seedlings

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

I think I have clematis seedlings under and around one of my clematis vines. It is the only plant in this area with no flowers or anything near it so it more than likely has to be clematis. Do I just let them grow bigger, then repot them?

Delaware, OH

they may be seedlings, or more likley "layerlings". if the clematis has low vines and some were resting on soil or covered with compost or mulch they take root from the leaf axil or stem and form a new plant. wait as long as possible and then you can cut it free if it has not already broken free of the mother vine, and pot it up or move it to another location. you can leave it right there to ensure a full display. mature clematis are frequently more than one plant from "layerlings".

this year i have made sure i am layering one vine on many of my clematis to propagate and improve the display.

you didn't mention what type of clematis i don't think. terniflora(sweet autumn clematis) germinates from seeds all over my property. i am always hopeful they are another kind, but so far no such luck. i treat some as weeds when they are in my way, pot some up and give them away...have even moved some of them to another location on my property.
i have friends that always want them, so i always have some ready to go in pots for friends to take home!!!

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey Niobe for all the information. I was out in the yard today and found out that the little things I thought were seedlings, were some vine that spreads around here. I think its some kind of morning glory. I've never planted anything around or near that peticular clematis. I think it is dr. ruppel. I went ahead and pulled them out.

Delaware, OH

i can relate to that. one year i thought i had discovered some plants that did not survive my first year with clematis under a fence in a thicket on my neighbors property. so i went under the bramble, bought them over and potted them up. after a month or so i knew they were not my plants but i then spent time thinking i had discovered a wild species of clematis. a couple of months after that i found out it is a local wild vine that looks a lot like a clematis vine, but gets a very tiny grape like bloom and is not a clematis at all. so i can relate to the excitement. all part of the clematis and gardening obsession!!!!!

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

So funny Niobe! I guess its so funny because we are all so alike with our gardening obsessions. And boy if we can save some money on saving seed or transplanting seedlings, we will do it. Its just such a let down when you baby something and its just a weed or nuisance plant.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I sure wished I could find seedlings in my gardens..LOL...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.