Flowers from yard to vase

london England, United Kingdom

Here's the red one growing in the garden....

Thumbnail by terriculture

another view!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Terri - what a clever way to dress up vase! How do you get it to stay put? Double-sided tape? Like the color combination too!

Dianne, I used pearl pins to join the leaves together. Only to save time and washing up LOL!
Thanks.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Terri you've got more pots than I got brain cells! That one is real nice and the daylilies don't look bad either.
Dianne, thanks for the generous offer, I'll try to keep that in mind this fall.

Thanks Candee, I have got loads of containers, but get fed up using them seeing as I'm always making something. Lol! Like to think of 'makeover' ideas for them.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Asters are in bloom in my yard now. This is one of the shorter varieties. Some asters grow up to 4-5 feet tall.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Saliva chiapensis - I got a small rooted cutting several years ago of this plant, and it has grown tremendously. Have had to relocate it twice. Nice arching stems of flowers for months.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And here are the two together. They match perfectly - in color and in overlapping blooming period.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

That looks beautiful! nice container too! very natural style you have Dianne, I like it!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I really adore your garden blooms please post more. Your plants are so healthy and colorful. The arrangement of them together is quite lucious and full.
Candee

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

thanks Teri and Candee...misplaced my camera for a few days and did not take any pictures. Dahlias are great as summer flowers. They have been hit or miss in my garden. This one that I have planted in my tomato patch is one that has come back yearly. The dinner-plate size dahlias are spectacular, but since they require staking, I don't include them in my garden. I know myself well enough that I will always forget to stake them. If I had a bigger garden, I would certainly plant a lot more dahlias since they come in so many shapes, sizes, and colors.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And here it is in an arrangement. Since I wanted to leave some of the dahlia stalks for a potential second flush of blooms, I did not cut them very low. I paired them up with some alstromeria to give the arrangement enough height so that I can include a few sago palm leaves. This is the same alstromeria that has been blooming for about three months. Canna flowers don't last as cut flowers, but I always grow some for the leaves.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Spectacular arrangement Diann and I love the leaves in the bottom of the vase. That certainly is a full shrub of dahlias and great color. I have some of the dinner plate ones, I'll post if they bloom this year. I keep mine in pots as I never could remember to dig them all up at season's end.

Lovely arrangement Dianne. Nice shape and soothing colours, like what you did with the leaf in the vase.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Candee - looking forward to seeing your photos of Longwood gardens. My brother lives in Philadelphia and that is one place that I never get tired of visiting. Terri and Candee - I saw quite a few arrangements this year with leaves surrounding the vase so I thought I would give it a try. I should have added another layer on top to fully fill the vase.

Here is a shot of the black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta) patch in my yard. I have read in some of the other forums that people have found this plant to be invasive, but this is the third year I have had it and it has spread to about 3x2 feet. I will probably dig some of the edges out to cut it back to about half it's size this fall. And I always cut off ALL the flowers before any of it goes to seed.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

This is the third day for this arrangement and you can see some of the heads drooping. But, it does pretty well as a cut flower and it gives off a bright cheery look. Kind of like a miniature of your sunflowers, Terri.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Hi Dianne, Funny how we have different names for flowers. Black eyed susan is something entirely different to me,
It has a little orange flower with a black eye and it is a climber!
I love your Rudbeckia, it's nice to have so many flowers in one patch like that. I bet you didn't even notice they were gone for your arrangement! Which is lovely and jolly. It might last longer if you cut the stems shorter.
Talking about sunflowers, one little rabbit is not in my good books today! She munched two of my sunflower plants straight through the main stalk, end of.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hi Dianne, the black eyed susans look very cheery both in the garden and in the arrangement. I think the vase above has just enough leaf in it, that way you can see that it is a leaf and not a green vase.
As far as the invasive I have a little story. I had black eyed susans in my gardens 10 years ago and each year they popped up in other areas until I just got tired of them. So out came the round up and I sprayed them until there were none to be seen. Then last year I saw them in another garden and had forgotten how lush and longlasting they were so off to the garden shop I went to get them again. They are blooming well right now and are already coming in a few other areas but now I seem to appreciate them more so think I'll keep them around for a few more seasons.
That is a great idea to cut it back before it goes to seed.
Terri, sorry to hear those dang rabbits got to your sunflowers. Perhaps it is time for some rabbit stew?

Candee, I've done that before! got rid of plants then bought them again a few years later!
Guess how I discovered the sunflowers had been munched? I noticed they had been cellotaped back together!!!!!!! My daughter who's the owner of the rabbit, but wasn't watching her, found the stems and taped them back together as if I wouldn't notice. Kids eh? LoL!

That was the 1st day of the 6 week holidays off school!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL, now that is one of the most thoughtful things I have ever heard of. Your daughter obviously knows how special your poseys are and did her best to make things right. Now that's precious!!!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Terri - what a cute story about your taped sunflowers. Her heart is in the right place. Your kids' summer vacation is quite different from our school system here. Oh - my daughter arrived in London yesterday. Hope you are having good weather there!

Hi Dianne, The weather has been lovely the past week in the 80's, hot for England. Hope your daughter has a nice time and the weather stays good while she's over here!
When are the kids summer holidays over there? I think 6 weeks is far too long!!
Here's Katie watering the flowerbed for me!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Great that you have a garden helper Terri. Does she enjoy the gardening as much as you do?
The lottie is looking very nice and healthy. You really worked to get a great bed going there and it looks like it paid off.

Hi Candee, Thanks. I don't think Katie likes gardening, she would rather be on her play station.

Crocosmia is flowering, it's early this year maybe because it has been so hot lately.

It's flowering at home too.

Here they are in a blue vase.

Cornflowers are doing well.

I have tried to post the arrangement twice but it has got lost in cyber space, will try again later!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Terri - my crocosmias are long gone - so it is nice to see yours, and in such a lovely airy arrangement. Nice backdrop you have there too. The school kids here in the California typically gets out of school mid-June, and goes back to school around the first week in September. A little over 2 1/2 months. So, your 6 weeks seems short to us :). I can never get my kids to help out in my garden, so you are lucky that Katie is out there with you sometimes. My oldest did help me harvest some nectarines yesterday.

Hi Dianne, Thanks, glad you liked the vase of crocosmia.
They do have long holidays in California, 2 and a half months is a very long time!
I went there once, where is Sacramento?

The sweet peas are still blooming

This message was edited Jul 28, 2008 10:58 PM

cornflowers and sweet peas.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That cornflower and pea arrangement would look great in the cafe as well as the crocosmia (what is the common name, I can't recall) - Love seeing them in bloom they are unique.
You have sweet peas galore, mine are a pitiful display just a few blooms, but better than none. That is a fantastic arrangement you have put them in.
Least you got Katie out there for a bit to assist, my kids couldn't find their way into my gardens with a road map LOL!
Here are a few more blooms I have recently uncovered. The orange lilies are in bloom and cannot remember their name.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hibiscus red and white mixed.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Dahlias times two, this one is a large white.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yellow dahlias

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

These lilies popped out and I don't remember them from last year? Memory is leaving quickly.

Thumbnail by haighr

Oh, I thought you were bringing in a huge vase for all those flowers. From yard to vase LoL!
Are you going to dry any of those beautiful flowers Candee? They could be spray painted at a later date.
Wish I had some BIG flowers!

Do you mean montebresia or somehting like that? for crocosmia.
Thanks on the sweet pea vase.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 3:27 AM

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Terri - love the way you molded that snowpea vine into a "handle." I planted sweet peas years ago - I never remember to plant them in time so haven't had any for the past 10 years. Candee - I have heard some people call crocosmia "firecracker plants" because they are kind of reddish and blooms around the 4th of july in our area. But, there are lots of other plants called some kind of firecracker variations in their common names.

I was expecting a large arrangement too!! Still not too late to put one together LoL
I had some pink lilies like yours too, but they stopped coming back after two years. I probably have had as many plants died (or dug out because they were not what I wanted) as I have presently growing....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.