So whats the truth about solar?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

It seems like a great way to harness energy, especially in the southwest. What I don't understand is why we don't see a lot more of it. I looked into it last year and got an estimate of about $20k to $25k for a completely solar powered house. I understand supply and demand and as it stands there is not the demand to increase supply and competition to bring prices down. So I wonder why. It seems that solar would increase the value of the house it powers, but people don't seem to want to pay for it so property value isn't really affected, at least I surmise. Do solar panels really do the job and are they really a good long term investment? Is there a nightmare maintenance program that you have to follow? In short, I just don't get it, but there must be reasons. I've just never quite figured them out.

This thread has 83 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!