Does anyone use "Preen"?

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

My mother swears by this stuff and has used in her garden for a couple of years. Supposedly kills or suppresses the weeds while fertilizing the more desirable plantings..... I didn't know herbicide could determine one from the other.....
any experience or advice?
Thanks
Deb

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Deb,

Preen keeps the SEEDS of weeds from germinating. It does nothing for weeds that come back from roots or are perennial. It does not kill through foliage--like a weed killer would.

I did not know that Preen fertilizes anything???? Hmmmm.....

Gita

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, it's a pre-emergent, which stops germination. Corn gluten meal is supposed to be the organic equivalent though the reports on that are so-so. They make a 'Preen-n-Green', which has the fertilizer mixed in with it.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

IF...huge IF...the weed seeds already set out their first "true" sets of leaves...Preen is pretty much useless.

Preen will ultimately stop the seed from forming a radicle...root. So, be careful where you use Preen. If you just laid out a new area for grass seed, and the grass seed didn't germinate, and you used Preen...the grass won't grow. Same thing with a veggie garden. It is safe to plant transplants using Preen...just not direct sowing.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I use it here in Northern NY in late March just before anything comes up. and then again in April.
It doesn't kill perennial grasses, but keeps their seeds from germinating.
I put it on the new garden too late and whatever was in the compost thet was rototilled in,is sprouting up everywhere, even thru mulch.Looks like weeding for me this summer.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Preen is wonderful if you use it as soon as you turn some soil or put in new soil. You have to use it on a regular schedule. And as said above, it only keeps seeds from sprouting. But if you are dilligent, over time, it does a great job! I expanded some beds last year with the intention of putting Preen down right away. Of three large beds, I did one immediately and the other two about a month after the dirt had been moved in. The latter two are full of weeds-mostly grassy weeds!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks a lot for the info. I was kind of curious because her garden is really not thriving this spring and I was hoping that it was not her use of Preen that was causing it. Looks like it is not!
Now if a person is diligent with mulch, they could possibly live without Preen - yes or no?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I use mulch but still use Preen, I love the stuff. Gives me time to do other things instead of worrying about all the weeds. I did it early enough this year too, I was so proud of myself.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I'm just a hard headed old fool. I do not like to put any poison on my beds or gardens. I have used it some years ago. Read the full label and have not since. There is nothing in that product that will build your soil biology and get you into a better soil and healthier plants.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I use the one with fertilizer.

Best solution to weeds is DENSE planting.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

The garden manager at the center I worked at last year, Paul Epsom, echoes exactly what Victor just stated. lol. Paul just said it with an English accent. Paul, being from England, thinks that "us" Americans concentrate on way to many perennials...and suggests that with heavy shrub/small tree plantings, and ground covers, we would be better off.

To answer your question about mulch and weeding...weeds will always be there, regardless of what you do...that I think is a basic simple truth. If you plant a nice layer of mulch and are able to hoe it occasionally to "snip" any new weed radicles you will most definitely have less to weed, but I don't think any combo of Preen (or early herbicide pre-emergents) and mulch will get you a weed "free" garden...less weeds for sure!

My accent is very New York! Better than just York - hee hee! Could not agree more on the shrubs/trees vs. perennials.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I use a similar product - Snapshot(commercial version). It works well, but you must remember preemergents work by creating a vapor barrier the weeds won't grow through. If you disturb that barrier it is much less effective.

This message was edited May 13, 2008 5:49 PM

And it needs to be watered in, correct, Al?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Victor I couldn't get any denser than I already am

:)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, but rain is good enough.

Dense is good, Allison!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.