Guanavana.. cherimoya seeds can anyone help

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

My mom got back from Nicaragua last night and she just brought mesome Guanavana seeds, does anyone have any experience in regards to these plants, they are relative to cherimoyas .....help..what should I do if you know what to do///////Clemen

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes...Guanavana and Cherimoya/atemoya etc. are all related. HEAT! FULL SUN! LOW altitudes for many of them!!!! I don't think you have a prayer in NY> Sorry!!!!

I know they will not survive in NY, but I would like to try growing a plant, is it a tree or vine? I asked my mom and she doesn't know. Clemen

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HI...it is a tree.

I was hoping it was some sort of small vine or shrub, I guess even if I am able to get a plant out of the seeds, I will not be able to get fruits. I have a dragon fruit cactus, believe it or not. I got a cutting about four years ago, and it has grown to almost 4 feet, although I know it will never produce a fruit, I know I am the proud owner of one Pithaya! And I love to brag about it LOL. Clemen

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Hi, can't help with seeds, but you're very smart, recognizing a disire to plant a chermoya, a super tree I love. Yoou will be rewarded with a lifetime of cherimoya trees,

Thumbnail by LApalms
Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

I have not tasted the fruit from the cherimoya, although we have one on the property that has yet to flower. Guanabana is typically Annona muricata as far as I know, and cold sensitive even in my zone. The seeds should come up very well, and depending on how many you have cmdelg, you might want to trade a few. Delicious fruit- I love guanabana.

Keaau, HI

Regardless of becoming a useful fruit tree (which will not happen too easily outside the subtropics) Annona muricata is recently becoming recognized as a valuable medicinal plant. If you can grow the unusual plant in a controlled environment, even just for foliage, you have a valuable product.

To all, thanks for your comments, I was actually having an argument with MAMA, because she says that Guanavana is not the same as Cherimoya, and I agree, they are different, but from the same family and the fruit taste very,very similar. Any way, I cannot believe I actually got to see a picture of the tree, beautifull, have to forwarded to MAMA. We lived in the tropics for so long, ate the fruit and never saw what the tree looked like, go figure.....Thanks LApalms...........

Fauna....Mama brought me a whole bunch of seeds, have not counted them yet, do you want some??? Will gladly send you some, I am sure yours will grow faster than mine, you are in a much warmer zone than me!!!!!!!! Sunny Florida!

Metrosideros, how medicinal is this plant????????? All I know is that the fruit is delicious!!!
Clemen

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks, but I already have A. glabra, A. squamosa x. cherimoya, A. montana and A. muricata- mostly just seedlings. There are so many amazing tropical fruits that I think are really yet to be appreciated. Many are non-traditional. They have pulps or forms that are better suited for juice, for example passion fruit. I first had it over ice cream-yum! And to eat it alone with it's yummy tartness with the crunchy seeds takes some getting used to, but I love the flavor so much and the vitamin C! Maybe you can make a nice patio plant that you protect in the winter from your precious seeds. I try to live as close to my parents and the life I came from every day, which is why I have chickens and spend all my time outside in the garden. Have fun!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's my cherimoya from a seed given to me a year ago. I believe you could winter it indoors in good light.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

fauna sounds like you are all set with all your fruit plants, I only wish I lived in a warmer climate than where i am.............
bigbubbles, thanks for your picture, i hope you get some fruit out her sometime.......I will definetely plant my seeds and overwinter then, even if i never get any fruit.
Clem

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Clem, are you sure your not talking about Gurania makoyana -- vine?

Rj

RJ, all I know is that the fruit is delicious and we call it guanabana in Nicaragua, (cherimoya family) Would you liek to try some seeds, my mami gave a few and I can send them........do you grow it? i do not know the actual name. By the way, your brug children and well potted and being watered daily, although, our temperatures are still cold............rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................Clemen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I wouldn't mind trying them. I am about to plant some of the seeds that are Gurania makoyana that a member sent me from Costa Rica...that's what made me think of them..similar place, simlar name..
this is a picture of it..although I'm not sure about fruiting or not.
http://picasaweb.google.com/art.allaboutnature.vogel/Panama2Gig/photo#5041876076316515506

Butterfly plants doing stellar here!

RJ, you will get them in an envelope, I am sure yours will sprout sooner than mine, you have a better luck than me, you have a golden touch.....I saw your link, I think they are not the same, you know Nicaragua is right next to Costa Rica, did you ask your friend if that vine gives fruit???? If you can, ask the Costa Rican, if they are the same, would be very interesting.......My mom looked into it on line and now we know it is really a tree. Anyway, Your seeds are on the way....I am glad the butterfly babies are doing well, they are going crazy over her, so probably in Houston is even better.......MAS CALIENTE, than NY..........Clemen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay ..thanks. I can send you some of the Gurania makoyana seeds, and you can have a little central american plant collection going

Did you know that the brugs grow wild in Costa Rica?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, alot of the brugs come from central and S.America's higher elevations.
Matter of fact alot of the "Shamans" used them for various reasons of healing or religion..the "poison" parts of the brugs are extremely phsychodelic and have very halucinigenic properties. The U.S. considered banning them at one point, but it turned out folks are more interested in they're fragrant and beautiful blooms than anything else.

Rj, We (gardeners) are more interested in the fragant flowers and beauty of it, but the other folks, I don't know????????I Specially teenagers, it makes me wonder sometimes,when I am not a thome, and someone might spot those beautiful things and have a feast with them and then catastrophe, lets hope not...........

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It hasn't been the case, fortuneatly one can't just boil it and have a good time, it's a rather extensive and precaurious method, time consuming etc etc. I read about it on a site that provides some interesting history.

Keaau, HI

Anyone trying to get high on Brugmansia X candida will be sorry, it makes a person very sick!

Hey Clemen,

Annona muricata has a long history of use in herbal medicine. All parts of the tree are used in natural medicine in the tropics, including the bark, leaves, roots, fruit, and seeds.
In the Peruvian Andes, a leaf tea is used for catarrh, and the crushed seed is used to kill parasites.
In the Peruvian Amazon, the bark, roots, and leaves are used for diabetes, and as a sedative and antispasmodic.
In Guyana, leaf and/or bark tea is used as a sedative and heart tonic.
In the Brazilian Amazon, leaf tea is used for liver problems, and oil of the leaves and unripe fruit is mixed with olive oil and used externally for neuralgia, rheumatism, and arthritis pain.
In Jamaica, Haiti, and the West Indies, the fruit and/or juice is used for fevers, parasites, and diarrhea, and as a lactagogue, the bark or leaf is used as an antispasmodic, sedative, and nervine for heart conditions, coughs, grippe, difficult childbirth, asthma, asthenia, hypertension, and parasites.

Researchers have demonstrated that the bark and leaves have hypotensive, antispasmodic, anticonvulsant, vasodilator, smooth muscle relaxant, and cardiodepressant activities.
Extracts of all parts of the plant are antibacterial against numerous pathogens.
The bark has antifungal properties; seeds have antiparasitic properties; leaves, roots, and seeds have insecticidal properties.
The leaves have been effective against malaria.
Alkaloids found in the fruit are shown to be an antidepressant.

You can make an effective home remedy by grinding up the dried leaves and soaking them in vodka for a week, then straining it off and using it as a tincture.

aloha, Dave

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Most brugs will make anyone very sick..even the supposed properly brewed types..that's what produces the Hallucinations..the poison

Keaau, HI

Scopolamine, hyoscyamine, and atropine are the main tropane alkaloids found in Brugmansia species.

Scopolamine is responsible for the hallucinogenic effect.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

From the sounds of it, it's best left in the plant!

Keaau, HI

Undoubtedly!

Just smelling and seeing the beautiful flowers is intoxicating enough!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Indeed, they are my favorite scent..just amazing. Last weekend they were so wonderfuly strong, you could smell them as soon as you opened the back door and walked into the garden.

Rj and Dave, let just love the brug for what they are, gorgeous flower and plants....We know they are dangerous but we grow them for pleasure and their beauty. RJ, You already habe blooms, not fair.............Mine is just starting to wake up from a long winter.............and let the guanabanas and cherimoyas delight all of us with their beautiful, delicious fruit and let's not forget what Dave's said wonderful "medicinal plant", very interesting info Dave, Thanks, will pass it along to mother dear, she told me I mispelled Guanabana and was mad at me LOL, I still love her though, Clemen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, sadly they're about done until fall. Still have them going as it's been cool for this time of year here..

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
San Diego, CA

Hello Clemen,

I am a bit late in responding to your query about the culture of Cherimoyas, if you have not been able to grow the small tree please let me know if you would like some information. I am at maristella@att.net.

Very nice meeting you along the the pathys of Dave's Garden.
-maristella

Virginia Beach, VA

Guayabano!! I love the fruit!!! I always eat to my heart content when I go for Asian vacation.
I also drin guayabano tea, it has a lot of medicinal advantages as mentioned by Dave.

I would just experiment on growing and bring them inside during cold season just for the leaves.

Belle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.