Questions Questions Questions

oshawa, ON(Zone 5b)

I live in Zone 5 Ontario

We want to build a green house. I have two spots and lots of questions as to which spot would be better. We don't have a large property so my choices are the driveway which would give it southern exposure. I could also try to use the heat from our high efficiency furnace for partial heating as it comes out the side of the wall.

The other idea was to build a temporary Green house on my Back deck so I could walk into it from the house. It would only get morning light roughly 4 hours a day. I would have to find an alternate heating method or I could leave the back door open to heat it. (Not sure if that's a very good idea though.

I bought two heat lamps at garage sales for .50 a piece with the bulbs. I don't think I would face them on to the plants but maybe face it onto a sheet of tin or something so the heat radiates. Do you think this would be too expensive?

I would prefer to have it going all winter but if it's too expensive to operate we will just use it in the spring to start seedlings.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy

Newberry, FL(Zone 9a)

Personally, I would go for the southern exposure any day. That alone will help heat the greenhouse, during the day at any rate. Your plants will grow much better too! If you can get any "bodies" of water in there, they will collect the heat and release it during the night. Best of luck!
Robin

Park Hill, OK(Zone 5b)

by all means use the south. You are in canada right? Concrete driveway should make for nice floor. Close to the furnace is also a plus.

oshawa, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks for your help.

Nancy

Lebanon, MO

I also vote for the south , and less windows or clear to the north , my old green house was made from big windows from a resort that was remodeling it faced south and east , had some insulated wall between the windows . the north had just 2 smaller windows west against the house. the roof was corragated fiber glass with a foam sealer , for winter we had 4x8 sheets of clear solar panel that were put under the trusses to make a double ceiling . and yes it still got a lot of light almost to much for what I grow . the heater was propane a square warm morning type it had a mechanical thermostat so if the power went off it still came on but not the blower .For awhile I had 55 gal drums painted black against the south window under the bench , and it did help . also had an exaust fan up high to get rid of heat in the summer , a swamp cooloer might work where you are ?? but not here to much humidity here so just blew warm air was a waste of $$ . Gin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.