How much should I thin monarda?

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Last year I bought a couple of pathetic-looking monarda plants on clearance. I figured I would rescue them, but they looked so sad that I ended up cutting them down and keeping them watered and just hoping they wouldn't die.

This year those 6 or so pathetic twigs of monarda have become dozens upon dozens. So far I'm happy that they're multiplying--they haven't been invasive...yet. But I do want to keep them thinned for good air circulation. I've heard that 'Marshall's Delight,' which is what I've got, is resistant to powdery mildew...but I don't want to push my luck.

About how far apart should I thin these monarda babies and when should I thin them? They're about 5-6" tall right now.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Gee,Kayly...l didn't know that it was possible to thin monarda too much as long as you leave some in the ground, lol! Perhaps that may be different in your zone though. Hopefully someone closer to you will have a better answer:-)
Bev

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't think monarda is quite as invasive here as it is in warmer zones, tggfisk. That's why I opted to give it a try in the first place.

That said, it's still looking to be pretty prolific. ;)

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

In that case, you could always transplant some of it out to another area if you have room. That way you aerate and have a backup if you over do it. I have a smaller monarda in a pot. It seems to like it there and hasn't required a lot of upkeep. Keeps it out of trouble, too!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Mine barely survived last years drought, but since weve had rain this spring, it has really taken off. Problem is, now the one clump it very tall and starting to bend over. If I pinch them back, will I lose the blooms?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Dunno about that, I suppose that it would depend on how close to flowering it is?? There was some discussion on another thread about that. If i get a chance, I'll see if I can find it.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I've read to pinch them back to 6" when they reach 12", but I haven't tried that, of course. Mine were barely surviving last year. I may just pinch back half the plants (maybe the ones in front) to see if they'll bloom, too. I'm sure that if they do bloom they'll bloom later.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Good idea. Gardening for me is always at least half trial and error, lol!

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Pinching the stalks around the outter edge of the clump was a good idea for me last year and leaving the ones in the middle high....It kinda covered up the legs of the taller bee balm which after they get to flowering a while or worse get mildew got legs uglier than mine......I learned that reading Tracy Disabto-Aust book on plant maintenance and it worked......I don't believe everything I read, just what I read last......:)

Paul from Alabama

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Laughing at you, Paul:-) I have some noid pink balm that a neighbor gave me taking over the world. At least it's not a runner and it's legs look ok, *still chuckling*. I don't worry too much about the mildew since I figure it need something to slow it down. Wierd thing, though...my neighbor actually managed to kill it and kept coming to me for more. I gave her wagonloads. When she moved away, there's still no bbalm over there. I can't for the life of me figure out how she did that!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Hehe...Paul, you're too funny!

And tggfisk, I'm with you--how in the heck can someone kill monarda? Even the plants that Wal-Mart attempted to kill grew for me. And they not only grew, they G-R-E-W!

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

I cut my Monarda back half way when it is about a foot tall, and it bushes out and doesnt bend over or need staking. I do this each year. I have heard that if you just stick the cut part in the ground it will root, but I have not tried this. Cut it back, it really helps.
Kathy

Thumbnail by guspuppy
Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

tggfisk.....Do you want to do something patriotic for your country?....Well do you?.....OK, then.....Contact the Nature Conservancy's Global Invasive Species Team's organization and give them your neighbors forwarding address.......:)

kathy.....I'm just now really getting into pinching.....pinching plants.....geez kathy what kinda guy do you take me for......:)

Paul from Alabama

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

Paul,
I cut back many of my perennials so that they grow shorter and bushier, a woman that has a nursery near here told me to try it on a few plants years ago and I have been doing it ever since. I hate staking, but don't mind the pinching > ; ~ )

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

kathy.....I'm like you, I ain't into staking......I have done it and still do but starting to pinch first if I can and only stake later if necessary.....but I like them grow through stake circles for russian sage....at least I think I do, mine are growing nicely right up and through them this year and i think its going to help cure any opening up or laying down or well you know what I mean.....

P.S. Tell gus I got his thank you note, that was sweet.....I hope he enjoys the treats I sent him......:)
Paul from Alabama

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Ha, Paul!!! There's a plan if I ever heard one, LOL!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

So even with cutting/pinching you get the flowers?

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, the pinching or cutting them back actually makes them branch more and send out even more flowers on a shorter but bushier plant.

Paul, I'm cornfused, what thank you note did Gus send you and what treats did you send him,,,,,,,,,,,I'm losing my mind,
Kathy

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Kathy ,OK you don't have to be so picky about it.....No, gus didn't send me a thank you note but I'm sure its cause he didn't have my address.....:)

Paul from Alabama

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Did I just hear a chain being yanked? heheh

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I never pulled a chain in my life....tripped over a few though.......:)

Morning KaylyRed

Paul from Alabama

Southlake, TX(Zone 8a)

I just took this pic yesterday of my monarda Raspberry Fizz. I purchased 3 sad little plants at a clearnace sale ofr 54 cents each. Last year they did OK, this year, I dug up over 3/4 of the them for a new bed that I was installing for a cancer victim. But mine have come back big and plenty. I know this fall I will digu up for for our local garden club plant sale.

Liz

Thumbnail by TexasLizzy
Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

liz...the raspberry fizz looks nice and it was nice of you to install the bed for the cancer victim too.......its nice when you take sad little plants and turn them into headturners......

Paul from Alabama

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.