Pinus densiflora ‘Oculus-draconis’....Stressing out

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

So this tree looked awesome all through winter until early spring and then the brown came. It gets strong full sun in the winter and I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Sunburn? It's sending out a lot of new growth but I'm wondering if I should move it so it doesn't repeat next year. It's the first year in the ground so I think I could move it fine. Will the brown needles fall? or remain for a while? I am new to the conifer world so any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Closeup...

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Montclair, NJ

I'm no expert, but I have a dwarf white pine that gets brown needles every year. They do fall off. Sometimes I know them off (gently). It seems from the picture that you have new buds forming, so I think you are just experiencing spring needle drop. I understand that even evergreen leaves (needles) have a natural life span of about 3 years (hopefully someone wiser than I will kick in if that's not acurate). Every Spring the oldest needles die and fall off. My hollies (Ilex glabra) also have a lot of brown leaves this time of year, just before all the fresh new growth comes in. Now they are covered in lovely light green baby leaves. Also, pines love the sun, so I'm sure too much sun is not a problem. Just wait a bit, and I think you will see it get even lovelier, and bigger, soon.

Perhaps you do have a problem there. Not one of mine looks anything like that. Maybe some sort of a needlecast disease? Maybe contact U of I Plant Clinic at
217.333.0519 and ask if you could mail in a sample to be tested? The fee isn't all that much and turn around time is fast.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks,

I'll check it out.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I thought that ‘Oculus-draconis’ was one cultivar that does not like strong full sun, something to do with the variegation? Too much sun and it burns, not enough and it fails to color properly.

Okay, other conifer people, where are you?

Elizabeth

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I think you're right. Most of the brown is on the "sun side". I think I'll try moving it....

thanks Elizabeth

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Happily recovering. PHEW!

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

dybbuk Congratulations on your good new growth and your move of the Oculus draconis. I had one in the ground for about 10 years and loved it, then two years ago without warning it just died. I could not find any problem. I have not replaced it. Actually my yard is full and I don't have the energy or the time to try to make room for more trees.

DonnaS

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

This is gorgeous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.