My Mission...

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

And I do choose to accept, is to turn this pineapple top into a thriving pineapple bush. Problem is that last time I tried this it took me 3 months to figure out that I failed. It just ever so slowly dried up despite my watering of it. Anyone know the proper technique?

Thumbnail by Cheeto
Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

I cut the top off or you can twist it off as well. I let it sit for a day or two and then start it in a 1 gallon pot with a good well drained soiless mix. I use Jungle Growth mix. I water it regularly and when I see new growth I start to fertilize it with liquid 20-20-20 or fish emulsion.

When it has establish I plant it in my Pineapple Patch and water 1 time a week or so and fertilize every other week . I usually use fish emulsion but I also have recently started to use a 20-20-20 liquid as well. In 18 months or so you should get a fruit and most of the time 3 - 5 suckers as well. I just let the suckers grow where ever they start.

Good luck
Dale

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Here in Hawaii we plant in sandy soil that is not kept too moist. When we water we also put water into the crowns of the plants. Pineapple will die if the roots are kept too soggy.We also fertilize four times a year, but we have very fertile soil with lots of trace minerals, I am sure Dale's advice on fertilizing is probably more accurate for the mainland...
Aloha,
Jenny

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Since you live in AZ over watering will probably not be a problem, your air tends to be very dry. With your high summer temps I would recommend medium shade for most of the day, during winter more sun (slowly) and protection from windy conditions. Try to keep it in a medium to large conatiner. They like moist air, but, not wet feet. I am sure you can produce a good plant and it will be a bit of a challenge. Hope you get a pineapple someday, the fresh picked fruit is great.

Not a pineapple>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Tug verrrry gently on a little inside new leaf to see if the crown is still alive. If the leaf comes right out, the crown is rotted, and you'll need to go find another pineapple.

I cut off the fruit part fairly close to the leafy top, peel off the fruit part, peel off, one at a time, the lower half inch of leaves, then just stick what's left into the ground under someting that I need to water anyway. I have the best drainage. After a month or two, I could transplant if I wanted to.

Takes a whole year to get another pineapple, y'know... Have fun!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I tried to do this, but I think it had "wet feet." I let it dry for a couple of days and then put it in water as I would any other cutting. Guess that is not good for it :( Oh well. Try again next time. :)

I've seen/heard of starting them in water, but mine just rotted.

Sarasota, FL

Remove all of the fruit; trim core very close to the base where the green leaves start. Throw it into a bright, but not directly sunlit area for 2-3 weeks and leave it alone. You want the cut base to dry out completely.
Dip into water; then roottone. Very well drained is the key. Do not overpot into a big container that won't dry out. I like to use 1-2" of soil in a one gallon nursery pot. Yea, it's swallowed in the pot. When you see them growing like mad, you can increase the amount of soil and push it with fertilizer. Dry out between watering!
They're originally epiphytic bromeliads that have been cultivated to grow in the ground. Do not suddenly place outside to roast in the hot sun.
I've got a mini white one, large red ones, grocery stores ones.....To get a giant sized fruit like you buy at the store it needs to grow 4+ feet tall.
If you ever are successful to beat the squirrels (live in fl., not az) to the ripening fruit, you'll be so spoiled you'll never want storebought pineapples. (except maybe for more starts)

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I actually started all three of mine in water and had no problems. Roots in just a couple weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.