Grubs/Bugs in Lawn

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Is there anything you can put down in your garden and lawn that will kill bugs and grubs but not earth worms? I just tore up some grass to make a new bed and it was loaded with grubs/bugs.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Milky spore takes care of grubs but won't hurt worms, and I think there's some sort of beneficial nematode you can buy that will also take care of them. In terms of bugs, it depends on what they are. The most selective controls are the biological ones (like nematodes and milky spore), but they all tend to be fairly specific in what they get rid of so we'll need to know what the bugs are before anyone can recommend something.

I'll get a picture tomorrow.
Thanks so much.

Well it has taken me forever to get a picture of the bugs in my soil. They are so fast so the picture is blurry. I don't know if you will be able to tell what it is.

Thumbnail by toy747

Another picture. Unfortunately not much better.

Thumbnail by toy747

Here is what the grub looks like.

Thumbnail by toy747
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL, they are sure not posing.
LOL
;)

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I know this is late coming in but I have the same problem and used the nematodes. I got them from Bugological online. They have different ones to cover different pest problems. The thing is, after you apply them, you need to water them in for 10 days after. I pray they work because the racoons here and a skunk dug up my yard last fall to feast on them. Fortunately we've had a very rainy period here so they should get a good start. I looked into the Milky Spore but from what I've been told, you need to apply for 3 seasons before it will really become effective but then works for something like 10 years. I think the nematodes continue to work for years also. Good luck!

Thanks so much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.