Pruning back my Bob Hope Cammelia-

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have this amazing, beautiful Camellia that so many people here lust after. It is called "Bob Hope" and is a beautiful, double red.
I have now had it for about 8 years total--and it must be much older, as I bought it in a 2 gal. pot--already well on it's way.

Anyway--this year the branches seemed too droopy and it just did not look so great--so I have decided to, selectively, cut back most of the branches to the next "split". It is now almost finished blooming--the flowers are dropping as we have had a lot of rain. I will be doing this in the next week or so.

For those of you that know, SERIOUSLY, how to propagate Camellias, I would be glad to send you some of the cuttings. There will be NO new growth on them to speak of yet, but they need to be cut off before the new growth starts.
PLEASE!!! NO frivolous requests!!!!!
--You CANNOT stick this in a jar of water and root it!
--You cannot just put it in some soil and put a jar over it!
It takes special conditions and skills to root Camellias. I know so from someone I sent cuttings to--because he knew how to do it. I totally trusted him. Every one of the cuttings rooted for him!!!

Here are a few pictures of this Camellia.

Gita
--Close-up of the bloom

This message was edited May 10, 2008 9:50 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Some blooms and buds....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is the whole bush--taken just a week ago. It grows right by my front door at a northern exposure. It is well protected from both sides from any blustery winds in the winter--which it does not like.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This shows how the branches have gotten "leggy" and why I am cutting it back.

Please D-mail me if you are SERIOUSLY interested---I will send you some cuttings for postage.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm trying something this year that might be fairly simple to root camellias. I don't want your cuttings but if I could figure out a simple way to root camellias I would be so happy. They are not an easy thing to get going.

We will see what happens. Experiment about to start soon. LOL.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

How 'bout that camellia everyone, I haven't seen so many flowers since...

http://www.bobhope.com/Audio/gardensM.wav

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.