Please help identify vine

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I bought it at a local nursery and there were only 2 left. The label on the container was wrong.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like black-eyed Susan vine, Thunbergia alata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/248/

I thought it might be a black eye susan, but then a neighbor said she didn't know it was a vine. Thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, there is regular black-eyed Susan which is a Rudbeckia (yellow coneflower), and then there's this one which is black-eyed Susan vine. They're not even remotely related to each other but they have similar common names. So your neighbor's probably thinking of the coneflower one.

San Diego, CA

It is a Thumbergia, not sure of the spelling. The one that is actually called black eyed susan is the Orange one, and I think the Orange is the Alata. I will see if I can find out what the yellow one is actually called but it is very very definately a Thumbergia.
Mark

San Diego, CA

I forgot to add that I am a bit color blind so if it is Orange, then forgive me, it would then be the black eyed susan.
Mark

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It looks fairly yellowish, but so did the pics of T. alata in Plant Files, the colors looked very similar which is why I suggested that one. I think the yellow one you're thinking of may be T. alata as well, it has a number of cultivars that come in a range of colors from yellow to apricot/pinkish to orangey red.

Mine is yellow, a slightly-darker-than-schoolbus yellow. After 3 or 4 days, it fades to a lighter color. Is this normal? Or it's getting too much sun? It's at my mailbox and it gets FULL SUN after 9:30/10:00am.

I had a chance to look over the colors of BES shown on this website and I think this could pass as an "orange". It's definitely not a "sunny yellow" that I'm seeing but a very dark yellow.

This message was edited May 11, 2008 10:05 AM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If it's just the flower color fading after a few days that's probably just what it does, I wouldn't worry about it. If the plant is showing other signs of stress like sunburned leaves or the edges of the leaves starting to get crispy then maybe it's too much sun but I think these can handle pretty hot sunny conditions.

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi LiliMerci,

Definitely Thunbergia alata. I have a vine growing, and flowering even though we are experiencing winter temperatures most days. The flowers do last up to three days, and then the plant drops them. Keep an eye open for seeds, as they tend to form seeds without a problem. You will be rewarded with little babies next year...

One also finds a white, with or without the black eye, as well as one with pinkish hues. Think they call it "Blushing Suzy" if I remember correctly.

Elsa

Elsa, That sounds pretty.

OK, this may be a dumb question, when you said "The flowers do last up to three days, and then the plant drops them. Keep an eye open for seeds, as they tend to form seeds without a problem". Will the plant form seeds before dropping the seeds to the ground? What is the best way for me to collect seeds, for storage for next year or trading.

San Diego, CA

Ok, I checked this morning and Alata is definately the Orange one. The yellow one is called is called 'Lemon Star'.
Mark

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's still T. alata, just a cultivar rather than the straight species. There are a number of T. alata cultivars in yellow, orange, pinky-apricot, probably a few other colors as well.

Pretoria, South Africa

They do form seeds that stays on the vine until they are dry. The buds as well as the seed "pod" is very inconspicuous. Almost tri-angular in shape. One has to keep an eye on them. Haven't grown them for a while, but if I remember correctly the seed pod will turn brown. Luckily the seeds aren't all that small, so even if you are not in time, you should be able to see them lying on the floor/soil.

Should you have a problem with collecting seeds, let me know. I can easily get hold of some seeds in the shops seeing that the plant originates from Africa.

Good luck,
Elsa

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I got some black-eyed susan vines colored white I grew from seed this year, they're starting to climb the fence panel I planted them next too....First time growing them from seed....What I remember most about the yellow variety I grew from a small plant growing on a small trellis I bought some years ago was the surprise in finding that the flowers were tubular....Looking at them you from afar you wouldn't think so.....If my memory serves me right (sometimes it doesn't serve me at all) hummers love it.......I grew it in one of those grow sacks thingies....hung it on a door and by the end of the season it covered the entire door with blooms.....

Paul from Alabama

Paul, that is a fantastic idea. I will have to try that when I get some seeds next year. You are right though, from far away, you'd never know it was tubular in the middle 'cause it's so dark - and it's actually not black, but kind of a burgandy/purple color to me.

Pretoria, South Africa

I would love to try some of the pinky-apricot colored ones. They are almost impossible to get hold of here in South Africa, and to buy the seeds overseas are very costly with the exchange rate being what it is...
Maybe I must put my order in for Christmas - let the family know what I want plant wise... LOL!

Elsa, if I come across any, I will send them to you.

Pretoria, South Africa

Thanks! That will be much appreciated...

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

I have the white one with the dark eye, It is planted in the ground in semi shade. This is the 3rd year I have had it and it comes back thicker and stronger every year. The clump just seems to keep getting bigger and bigger. I have to say though that I have never noticed seeds. I will have to look when it starts blooming.

Elsa, I might have some of the peachy colored seeds. I think I bought some to plant and I don't remember planting them. Will take a look and let you know.

Dee

Pretoria, South Africa

Thanks Dee,

Let me know if you want some of the orange one's seeds.

Elsa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.