Anyone have strange symptoms after using merit?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I finally used some on my irises this year, and I thought I was handling it very cautiously, but evidently some small trace amount got in my mouth and caused definate strange and bad sensations that I have never experienced before. Everything seemed ok the next day, but it gave me a scare...
Sharon

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Well now, Sharon, I don't believe you're supposed to EAT it!!! Even so, I wouldn't expect any lasting side effects. Imidacloprid is, after all, and active ingredient in Advantage flea control for cats and dogs, and you KNOW cats must occasionally ingest it while grooming each other after being treated with it. In fact, that's the only reason why I'm willing to use it in my iris beds. It's a whole lot less dangerous and toxic a chemical than Cygon, which was the commonly used borer pesticide before it was taken off the market. I would NEVER have used Cygon on my property.

Laurie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't know of any direct way imidacloprid can hurt you, but research shows it is responsible for the reduction of the bee population. The lack of bees hurts us all. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidacloprid_effects_on_bee_population

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Yes, I am aware that might be a factor, although a virus from Australia is the latest suspect, I believe. I am limiting my use of merit to my irises; no chemicals are used on the rest of our 600 acre dairy farm.
Appreciate your concern.
Sharon

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear that you are environmentally responsible in your dairy farm. I wish I were closer so I could buy milk from you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.