Do you know a TB blueberry blue iris??

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, iris lovers--

I want to create a sunny garden using iris in deep and mid blue colors and maybe you can please help me out with selections...?

I have tried to search Plant Files for blue iris but so many of the 'blue' looking iris also have many photos where the iris looks violet or purple.

Some blue iris ideas are maybe 'blueberry bliss', and 'best bet'? But I don't really know if they are blue or violet. Does anyone grow these?

I'm also wondering if 'batik' is more blue or violet?

I already have some pale blue iris for the collection, but need the stronger colors...

Thanks so much. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

For my taste, Batik is more purple than blue. Some darker blues are Blueberry Bliss, Dusky Challenger, Blenheim Royal ( starts blue fades to slightly purple), Breakers and IB, Baby Blue Marine -- but it is a light blue. Also Sea Power is blue. I have those in my garden and consider them blue.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

this is dusky challenger...true color

Thumbnail by jackieshar

John Hoener

Thumbnail by jackieshar

seapower

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here's Blueberry Bliss in my Garden -- however that looks here, it is completely blue.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

wish I knew the name on this one, I have several....very true blue on blue, even the beard is mostly blue

Thumbnail by jackieshar

metoluis blue and blue suede shoes north pacific seas,keiko's world, captain's joy, are good blues. Intense blue-black are sambuca and hello darkness,
Pictured is my unchartered waters

Thumbnail by jackieshar

Oh, my! So many choices! Thanks for all the info!

I have some really pretty ones to pick from! Thank you.

South Hamilton, MA

'First Wave' Tasco is nice--has too many ruffles for the taste of some.Same problem? with 'Sea Power' Keppel. To many it isn't a problem.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

There are lots of beautiful blues not even mentioned yet. I are also two tone ones like Dangerous Mood --

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

'Dangerous Mood' is very very interesting. I like the form and the idea that it is two tones to add interest. Does it have some purple shades, as the pic shows on my monitor, or is it in the blue category? Jackie's 'no-name' is also very attractive in the same way, could it be the same?

I can understand why some do not care for Iris with too many ruffles. The sculpted form of the iris is what attracts me to them too.

I will look all of these up in Plant Files and figure out the bloom times.

I would like to get three or so different blue iris of similar form in complementary shades/hues to bloom at the same time in the garden. Perhaps a bi-tone, a rich blue, and a border iris all blooming together. Then I will fill in with other flowers--maybe peonies, or old roses, mmmm....what else would bloom at the same time as some of these?

If 'Blueberry Bliss' is blue (not purpley) would it bloom at the same time and blend well with 'Dangerous Mood', I wonder...? And 'Jack Hoener'? And then I could add an iris that is the blue version of 'Batik' for additional interest. Is there a blue version of Batik? I thought I saw one offered or in a garden somewhere, but can't exactly recall...

Thanks so much for all of your good thoughts! It's really helping me. t.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I consider Dangerous Mood to be totally blue, but the AIS registry says its beards are purple tipped with yellow. It looks blue to me. Can't tell you much about blooming times of Blueberry Bliss vs. Dangerous Mood. Blueberry Bliss is in a much sunnier and warmer spot than Dangerous Mood and Dangerous Mood hasn't bloomed yet for me. Blueberry Bliss bloomed magnificently and early last year. The picture I showed you was from the 2007 Iris Convention.

There is at least one Batik -like flower that is blue. Have a look at Gazellegant and Gnu Blues. I haven't grown either, and there are probably broken color blues that I don't know, as well. But Brad Kasperek seems to be the main breeder of Broken Color Iris.
http://www.zebrairis.com/gazellegant.htm
http://www.zebrairis.com/Gnu%20blues%20page.htm

Here is another picture of Dangerous Mood. Cameras do funny things with blues and it does seem that most of them appear to be purple. For the border iris -- I know Baby Blue Marine is a lovely true blue.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
South Hamilton, MA

For a more pale shade of blue if you want blue contrasts look up Schreiners 'Joyous Skies' or 'Into the Blue', the 2nd one I saw at Austin convention.

Oooh! Great info and sources! Thanks so much. I will have a ball putting together this garden!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sea Power is the bluest iris I grow. Blueberry Bliss is lovely too.

Thumbnail by doss
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

http://www.hornbakergardens.com/catalog/w/c/3/f/productcolor/q/Blue/irises/catalog/browse.asp

I use this website to see a bunch of options because I can sort by color, etc.

doss, I like the way the ruffles on Sea Power echo the swirley lines of the weeping tree. Very effective.

Thanks for the hornbaker site., Mrs. Ed. It's always nice to find a well-designed plant seller's website! They aren't always so, are they?

I know! The web designers for this were geniuses as far as I'm concerned!!

Ha, Ha! The Hornbaker site worked for them! I had never heard of them before but I went on there and ordered a bunch of Blue ones. Can't recall at this minute which ones they are, but I think they will do the trick for me!

Thanks for suggesting it!

oh you are most welcome. Lucky for me that I actually get to go visit the place! Then I can pick out what's blooming when and even match it to other items that are blooming in my garden.

Oh, where is it? And where are you in ILL?

It is east of Princeton, Illinois in the country off of I-80 and I-180. I live in Rock Falls which is 40 miles away, but I grew up in Princeton and my family is there.

http://www.hornbakergardens.com/contact.asp

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.