Root bound Shrubs

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

Hi,
I bought myself a shrub about a month ago. When I got it home I discovered the it was so root bound that I could hardly get it out of the pot. I cut slits in the side about 1/4 inch deep of the root ball and pulled it out as much as a dare try. It had a bit of green leaves coming out on it when I bought it but it hasn't done much since then. I'm wondering what to do. Do you think I should take it back and try to get something else or do you think it will snap out of it and come to life more. I called the place and they said something about maybe the soil wasn't warm enough yet. Only trouble is my shrubs next to them are doing fine. He said, "well you planted them last year." What do you think. Should a nursery sell plants that are so root bound that they are one solid mass of root and expect them to do well?

Thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sometimes you can rescue a rootbound plant and have it recover and do fine, but it's definitely more of an uphill battle than with one that wasn't rootbound. Usually when this has happened to me, it's been a plant I really wanted and can't find much of anywhere and there are only one or two to choose from and they're all rootbound, so in those cases I usually take my chances, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But if this is something where you can easily find another less rootbound one I'd see if you can get them to take it back (judging by their initial reaction to your questions, I expect they may put up a bit of a fight though!)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

If I can I return the plant because it will strangle itself even after you rescue it. The only luck that I have is to make a metal frame below the root ball and train the main roots by tying them to the frame and I use twine. Then I dig the hole big and plant the framed plant into the ground.

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

What kind of shrub? It is not all that uncommon for potted nursery stock to be somewhat root bound. It also is quite common for newly planted stock to take a few weeks to show much growth.

A lot of this is species dependent, so no one can give you much of an answer when you tell us it is a "shrub".

Some folks say that cutting the rootball and opening it up is a good thing, others say it is harmful. I've done it both ways successfully.

Tell us what you have, and do some research on the habit of the plant. My guess is you're just fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.