For Pirl and Polly

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I planted my Ensata order today. I had put in some dahlias and SIBs earlier this spring. When I saw the weather forecast (heavy rain tomorrow) I made sure I got all the Iris planted today. I am so excited about this bed. I only do mixed beds so this is my first venture into an almost exclusive bed. I knew I was planting for next year but as I was kneeling in the dirt I noticed buds on some of my SIBs that were planted earlier. WooHoo..a litttle bonus for me.

Thumbnail by venu209
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Look at that grass! **official Johhnny voice from Airplane used**

Looks like a nice start.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Can we post if we're not Polly nor Pirl?!! Hee hee. Very nice, Weeze. Good luck. I mix my irises in with all the other plants. I'm not a dedicated bed person. Except for sleeping.

Are you guys picking on me?? lol Victor I remember your bed shots, you said you needed the wide angle lens. Al, those Dahlias are going to be the star of the fall. I should have had a heading for Pirl, Polly and THE AL :~)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm not picking on your bed - I'm looking forward to it's progress. Could have PhotoShopped in some of Lambeau field for the lawn though.LOL

I'm waiting for Al to recommend the ultimate dahlia - single, long-lasting and doesn't need staking. (Ultimate woman too??)

If I knew how to photo shop I would, but really I can grow some grass :~) Victor, what does the staking part mean exactly??? My trainer says this is the week for explicit communication. I'm still waiting on communications....

Thumbnail by venu209

Nice grass. Herbicides? Tell the trainer, '#@%%$#!!'

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That's better Weze. You'll want to stake you dahlias up.

Victor - I'm not even trying any new singles this year(wife's order)

Al, I only got shorter varieties of Dahlias, no dinnerplates. Do they still need staking?

Victor, I use those exact words every time I see him. I've sworn off herbicides, so the grass will just have to overpower the weeds.

Wow, the grass looks way too good to be without chemicals! What's your secret?

This will be it's first year without herbicides kind of. I didn't use anything for years, then did use some herbicides the last two. I think it has filled in enough to detox it.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Nice job on your new JI bed. It is gonna be a sight to see I'm sure, waaay too much color for grass.
Al that is some green thick lawn or should we describe it as a carpet, it is real growing type grass right? I am looking forward to seeing all the dahlias too. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.