Hippeastrum Sydney?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Attached is a picture of an amaryllis I've had for several years. I really don't remember where I got it - maybe John Scheeper's. The cultivar name was 'Sydney'. I just checked the PlantFiles entry and there are two very different pictures. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/97995/ - mine looks like "tabasco's" picture. I did a Google image search and it shows several different flowers... so which is the real 'Sydney'?

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Very pretty! what ever it is.

Ewing, VA

Sydney

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Ambiance...perhaps?

Thumbnail by mariava7
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very pretty, Tom.

My in-ground amaryllis all have buds and I am anxiously awaiting blooms. My Red Lion was gorgeous last year, but my Hippeastrum x johnsonii didn't produce buds. Last summer, I also planted several no name amaryllis that I rescued from plant swaps.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

"Ambiance" is correct.
The narrow red rim on the flowers' segments reveals its parentage of H.papilio. It is the most vigorous Papilio hybrid I know. Elsewhere I read that a "Jumbo sized" bulb of this cultivar which had been purchased from the company Royal Colors produced 5 scapes!

Nevertheless, Congratulations to you, Tom, that you have succeeded in maintaining your bulb over several years and that you obviously have obtained additional flower scapes out of daughter bulbs. H.papilio hybrids with TETraploid hippeastrums are my clear favorites since these exhibit a better flower symmetry than the TETts themselves, because the upper segments on the right and left side of these are considerably narrower than the both lower segments right/left. This can be clearly be observed in the picture of "Sydney" - thank you Maria for sharing!

An extreme example for what I am pointing to is my selfstyled hybrid "PapDon" (out of H.papilio x "Donau" (Danube)

PapDon#1:

Thumbnail by haweha
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

OK... so is mine 'Ambiance'?

I did find it in PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/152568/ ... mine looks similar but not identical. But that could just be natural variation.

This message was edited May 9, 2008 8:24 PM

Ewing, VA

Sir Hans...You are most welcome. Ahhhhh...PapDon #1 is soooo lovely!

Nathalyn...We are just like 1 1/2 hrs. drive away from each other. I am right in the border os VA, TN and KY. Unfortunately, I am in a higher elevation than Knoxville. I live right in the foothills of Cumberland Mountains. Some years I get a zone 7 weather, some zone 6. How deep down the ground do you plant your hippeastrum bulbs in Knoxville? I would really like to plant some in my yard if it is possible.

Tom...Yes, we do think you got an Ambiance.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

But that could just be natural variation.

Tom, by your presumption you point to an important feature of Hippeastrums' flowers.
Actually the variation is considerable in many cultivars.. I discovered that generally the best performance is obtained when you force them at lower temperatures (AIR temperatures well understood) and with some natural light (unfiltered sunlight but NOT under burning sunshine).

The variability of "Ambiance" is discussed here:
http://www.exoten-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t=23301&page=5

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Maria,As drainage is a major issue with overwintering them outside, most of mine are planted in raised beds. However, I planted one in the ground closer to the house (for protection) and it is up with a scape forming.

I bury the entire bulb (about an inch of soil is over the top of the neck), and I place a heavy layer of mulch over them in the fall.   You might consider picking  up some bulbs after Christmas when they put them on sale for pennies on the dollar - - and experiment with those. 

Also, 'Akermanii' and H. x Johnsonii' are rated for zone 7 (and supposedly even colder).

Ewing, VA

Nathalyn...Thanks for your infos. Now that (raised beds) is what I think I need. My soil is very clayish here with lots of rocks and MOLES!!! I just recently purchased an XJohnsonii but I'm so scared to plant it in the ground. I will need a lot of courage to do this...lol!

Sydney gets lovelier as the flower ages.
Sydney today with second and shorter scape opening.

Thumbnail by mariava7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.