Passiflora Seed Germination

Eagle Point, OR

Anyone on the forum have personal experience germinating Passiflora seed? Every source I read on the web seems to have a different method to germinate them.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I use Jiffy/type seed starting medium.. So far, so good..
Larkie

Chuck,

The member "Tim" is the guy to talk to.

He advocates soaking the seeds in orange juice for (I believe) 24 hours prior to sowing. He has reported better germination when this method is used.

Dave

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Myles has a web site too, and he says soak in oj to 48 hours. That's what i did, planted mine tonight in Jiffy mix. Now I'm going to sit here for 2-3 weeks with my fingers crossed.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

It is not always necessary to swim them in juice oir scratch or soak... I've been always succesfull without doing anything like it.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I think it depends how the seeds were collected and/or stored. If they are sent with goo from the fruit - then they should germinate easily. It's the seeds that have been removed from the fruit and dry stored that are hard to germinate. It's the acids or something or other...in the fruit that destroys the germination inhibitors. The orange juice is just a subtitute for the fruit of the passiflora. I've also heard that lime juice helps.

Surrey, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Chuck
check out my site seed info at
http://www.passionflow.co.uk
Best wishes
Myles

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.