CLOSED: Shore bird I.D. help needed.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I photographed this shore bird in a tidal salt marsh at Homer, AK, on the Kenai Peninsula, yesterday.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Grey Plover (a.k.a. Black-bellied Plover), just starting moult from winter plumage to summer plumage.

Resin

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Thanks Resin. I had considered the possibility of a Black-bellied Plover, there were several in the same area, but the others were in full breeding plumage, so I had serious doubts.
Gary

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

As I read thru the postings and threads thruout DG I am constantly struck by the vast knowledge and candor of some of the experts who ALWAYS seem to know exactly where to be and what the answer is. I'm lucky if I can tell you the boiling point of H2O or that flowers come in all colors and then some. I refer especially to those of the TX gardening forum such as htop, frostweed, to mention just a couple and to Resin who has never met a bird he/she (?) couldn't identify. I stand of awe of all of you! There are many more out there whose knowledge is the basis of what keeps DG what it is. Then there are those who thinly mask their knowledge under a veneer of pure happiness and laughter. They are happy to be alive yet I think they aren't aware of how smart they really are or how they help the rest of us. Thank each and every one of you for your input. I'm sure that there are many here who feel the same way.

Ann

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I had considered the possibility of a Black-bellied Plover, there were several in the same area, but the others were in full breeding plumage, so I had serious doubts

Hi Gary - there's some variation in moult time between individuals, with older birds and males moulting earlier than younger birds and females. First-summer birds (one year old) don't get black bellies at all. With the rest in full summer plumage, probability would suggest this one might be a second-year female, but not definitely so.

Quoting:
I'm lucky if I can tell you the boiling point of H2O

That's easy, 100°! Just stick to logical measurement systems like Celsius, and there's no difficulties! The problems only come with that preposterous Fahrenheit nonsense (I have no idea what it is in that either).
Quoting:
Resin who has never met a bird he/she (?) couldn't identify

I've seen plenty of birds I couldn't identify!!

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.