What's this?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Anyone know what this is?
They're planted all in a row like it was done that way on purpose.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
North Augusta, ON

They look a lot like a Milkweed...have you planted any?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nope. If it is milkweed, do I want it?

North Augusta, ON

Monarch butterflies love to lay their eggs on them!!

Just pick the pods off before they burst. The flowers smell divine as well.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cool, hope it is.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I hate those weeds that show up like they are supposed to be there.... gets me every time... so many weeds not enough experience

:)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, I agree with Lee Ann - it does look like it.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It might be milkweed. Ours come up all over and we try to let them go. They do attract butterflies and, even more important to us, beneficial wasps. We are talking about the wild plant, yes? If it's a hybrid, then I would not know it. Here is a picture of one of ours growing in what was our horse pasture. It's from a few weeks ago and now budding. I can get a fresh photo this coming weekend if you're interested.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would like to see what the buds look like, thanks.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

voting for milkweed.. I think the reason it is in a line is that it has this deep down runner root and has plants shooting up all from the same runner. even if you pull the plantlets out, they'll send up some shoots again eventually from that root... Its the dickens to get out of anywhere. but if you find it going under important plants and such (it will increase..even if you don't let it seed) you'll need to do an excavation. sarah

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I love the milkweeds in my yard for the bees and butterflies, BUT they do get invasive (by those nasty runners), and I'm forever pulling them from ALL over my yard. This is my "official" patch - about 15' square.

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I pulled out some last year not knowing what it was.......you know ....... "what in the world is that? I didn't plant you"

Finally got to the photo. The flowers look like buttons.

PrimroseSue, you have a beautiful stand. Mine are more here and there.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks fo the pics.
Laurel, I like your little friend too.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Laurel, you said: "Mine are more here and there."

Not for long! LOL

Well now they're under a tree! LOL. There's more where those came from though.

Laurel

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just ripped out all the milkweed I had.They were looking reallly ratty and seemed to be just attracting ants and aphids. Didn't want to spray them cause what good what that have been for any of the butterflys right? But of course not doing them any good in the trash either. oh well

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

There's so much milkweed around here that we literally tear our hair out trying to keep it from the garden areas where we don't want it. But, we also have a designated plot of it just for the Monarchs. I still can't believe that some nurseries sell it!! To most of us, up here in NH, it's just one of those field weeds that are everywhere!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.