Persimmon????????

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Are these blooms/ fruit on my persimmons. They are green and I thought it was putting out more leaves. ^_^

Thumbnail by weeding

These are oriental persimmons.

Thumbnail by weeding
Canton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yep. Those are the blooms/developing fruit.

I am so excited! This will be the first fruit on these plants. I just got them last year. They are grafted persimmons. I can hardly wait. Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

Canton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yep. We have a persimmon at my parents house, and it took me a while to figure out what the flowers actually were. Unfortunately, the fruit from that tree (I think it is a wild tree) are small, and only have a pleasant taste for a very brief time. Any time else they're so bitter it'll curl your lips up on themselves! LOL!

Enjoy!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Does anyone have a problem with fruit drop? I have a tree loaded with persinoms and it seems to drop a few weekly. I thought it was lack of water. So I increased the amount of water it was getting to no avail. Could it be a natural elimination process of the tree?

Yep! All of my fruit dropped off. :

All of it, Wow? I wonder why? I just found another today. Two yesterday.

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

What I understand is that persimmon tree will drop fruits if it cannot sustain it. How old is your tree? Mine is a year old and has a couple on each one. It had alot in the beginning and kept dropping the fruits. Also fertilizer high in nitrogen will also cause fruit dropping.

My tree is about three years old. It's loaded with fruits. I haven't fertilized with anything except compost.

My tree is grafted and is about 6ft tall. I was actually suprised it had fruit this year. Hopes for next year. Yum!

I think I will put some compost on mine this weekend. :)

I just bought another persimmon tree yesterday! It is a Chocalate Persimmon.

Here's a picture of it. Looks kind of ugly right now.

Thumbnail by Dean_W

Kindda skinny, but mine is still looking skinny. They must be slow growing. This is a picture of my fruits.

Thumbnail by mimianvy

Wow, nice, mimianvy! Here's a picture of the fruits on my other tree.

Thumbnail by Dean_W

GOODNESS!! It is fully loaded. What are you going to do with all of the fruits? That is impressive!

My wife loves them. That's why I bought another tree for her.

Nice fruit on those trees. Maybe I will keep some fruit on my tree next year.

weeding, every year they seem to have more fruit. This year I have had a problem with the fruit drop though. I guess just to many on one tree.

Sarasota, FL

Many persimmons need a pollinator; the flat, non-astringent varieties are especially bad for this. I had a Hanafuyu. Lots of flowers, then baby fruit then most fall off.
Tanenashi is one variety that is self pollinating (although astringent until mushy ripe). If you can, find it grafted unto the local persimmon tree D. virginicus instead of D. lotus, or other varieties.
Don't know if that chocolate variety is just that or the Black Zapote D. digyna.

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.