Newbie! When should I start planting?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hello,
I'm an Iris newbie. I want to get started! Basic question: when is the best planting time for bearded Iris? Or, in a warm climate such as mine (So Cal) is anytime a good time?
Thanks for your advice folks!

Lebanon, OR

Growers allow the rhizome to rest for 6 weeks before digging, and that is usually about July when they start and several go until the end of Sept...so that is the best time to plant

When I lived near Whittier CA I scheduled my iris for as late as possible so that I was not out in the heat planting.

Welcome to the wonderful world of iris.

D

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

This message was edited May 8, 2008 5:15 PM

Raleigh, NC

There's lots of helpful information on the American Iris Society about irises and planting, etc. www.irises.org

If you go to the "links" there's a whole list of commerical growers - you're in there aren't you irisloverdee?

If you go to the "regions" section of affiliates and snoop around, some of those have local, smaller growers listed and display gardens listed. There's many growers right in CA.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow, thank you so much guys for the great info! I am glad to know there is a right time for planting. That's what I suspected! I will start looking at the list of vendors, I already spotted a couple that have great ratings at the watchdog. Donna, I really don't need any particular variety for now, so I will start slowly, but surely!
Thanks folks! I already feel a new "addiction" in the air, lol
Roberta : )

Raleigh, NC

be careful Roberta - iris virus is contagious.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.