I think I have a canna virus problem...I'm so sad!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

What do you guys say?

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yep, add some compost and water well! It should clear up.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

So you think it IS the virus? I've heard and read there is no cure and that you should immediatly remove from you garden and even burn them?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

here are some pictures to help you decide if it is a virus. http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=canna+virus&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

and here is an excellent article to read. http://cannanews.blogspot.com/2008/01/thoughts-on-virus-from-hart-canna.html

This message was edited May 7, 2008 6:15 PM

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Current school of thought is that nearly every canna has a virus to some extent. There is no cure. However, good growing conditions are wonderful at curbing the symproms.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks guys...I myself posted a great link with info I found a while ago I just could not believe I was going through this myself!
Azreno, what about the danger of spreading the virus to the healthy cannas?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

If you have a canna that appears virus free...by all means try to keep it isolated. You could get rid of the infected plants to try and decrease the chances of exposure. I have read that there doesn't seem to be a fool proof way to ensure a plant remains virus free though :( I recall a discussion about maybe aphids are even spreading virus' among canna, so it is a dim outlook. Most people, commercial growers included, have simply accepted that it exists.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

They are side by side...I have 3 mature cannas and bought 19 tubers from the Horn Farm, many of them are sprouting now and look infected....how sad!!!!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well, had you purchased them from nearly anyone they would likely show some signs of virus when first sprouting, sad but true :(

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Most of my cannas look the same way when they start growing but then clear up. I emptied my hot tub into a canna bed and now everything is stressed looking like that. The cannas just a little distance away are all fine. this time of year the temp fluctuations and weather stress the plants more I think... once things are a little stable they may be just fine. Mine never get the dead dried areas in the leaves as the article mentioned above says of truly virused cannas.

Tammie

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Tammie: may you be right! : ) It's pretty ugly looking now!

Here is a leaf that got the "bad water".. they all look like this where that water went the most.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

... and here is one of the same cannas a few feet away but slightly uphill so it did not get the bad water.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

...and to top it off. Here are side by side comparisons of leaves on a canna last year.. the first growth of the season.. looking virused and then a short time later a new leaf after the weather steadied out. Still has a little streaking but got better as the summer went on.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

WOW! I mean, WOW! Is that really the same plant?! You have no idea how good this feels to me! How did you solve the "bad water" problem? Pic #1 totally looks like some of my cannas...

The bad water was from my hot tub that the ph had gotten waaay off so I emptied it and started over.. the water all 460 gallons emptied into this small area of cannas then out into the alley. those first two cannas pics.. they all looked alike until I emptied my hot tub so I know it was the water. I have faith they will improve with time and no more hot tub water. They were absolutely beautiful last year.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Perhaps I have hard water in here...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.