suggestions

South Rockwood, MI(Zone 5b)

I need some ideas for some shade lovin' plants. I already have some bleeding hearts, astilbe, jacobs ladder and spiderworts where I get a little sun. I have a lot of room, so size isn't an issue:) I wanted to plant a witch hazel but havin' a heck of a time finding it. I'm in zone 5b:)

Thumbnail by jdalfred
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hostas! I wish I could have one of each variety, but it's too hot for them over here...

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I too love the Hostas. I have several growing and they get nicer each year.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

You might look at this list I found for shade plants.

www.backyardgardener.com/shade/index2.htm

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

makshi -- could you tell us what you used in the "search" on Backyardgardeners site? It came up empty.

and jdalfred -- i also say HOSTAS, especially if room is not a factor. you can get some gorgeous Giant ones.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I say hosta too and I am adding some ferns also. Bev

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Bev -- If ferns would ship well, i'd send you a boat load ... mine multiply like crazy -- but i also found, they do NOT transplant well.... at least mine don't.

Ohhhh, if only you and I lived closer.

This message was edited May 10, 2008 3:39 PM

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

That would be nice Terese. I am redoing my big shade garden. I took a pics when I started two weeks ago and will take pics as it fills in. I can't find the first pics but when I do I will send it if you want to follow along and make suggestions which would be welcome. Thanks BEV

thanks for the suggestions. I purchased five hostas today, one just says wide brim on the tag. Two that are called Patriot, one called Albomarginata and Halcyon. I also purchased some caladium, wich is an annual here. I thought it would make a nice contrast.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

That will be a beautiful contrast. Please post pics. BEV

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH -- that is gonna look great!! I have Patriot, Albomarginata .... getting Wide Brim [hopefully Monday]

Getting all these new plants is so much fun!! i got a lot of shade plants last year ... gonna see if i can find that link where i posted all the images.

thanks for the link makshi:)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Good job! Great idea on the caladiums. Patriot is BEAUTIFUL! I'm waiting for some white caladium tubers I'm planting by my hosta too! (although here for me this hosta is probably an annual...)

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

You are very welcome.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

do you want wild flowers???? jack in the pulpits are georgeous.... all kinds of ground covers. lanium, white sweet woodruff is beautiful in the shade, blossoms in the spring white flowers.... epimediums, celedine poppies are a wonderful spring flower, (they also spread freely) of course ditch lilies!!!!! toad flowers which i have up for trades, solomon seals,davids wort, prim roses georgeous,cora belles, foamflowers, i even got a nice colombine for the part full shade rooguchii thats what the tag says any way it is doing very nice this year has not blossomed yet but the vines are going to town!!!! it says nice bell shaped flowers all summer. cant wait to see them. have fun and explore.... we are in the same zone let me know what you are looking for maybe i can send you something!!! where is south rockwood??? Ronna

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Some pretty shade-lovers I'm having good luck with. I know you said you already have polemonium, but these cultivars I included are favorites of mine:

Polemonium 'Purple Rain' - this has proven to be a gorgeous plant. The photo here is of 'Purple Rain' in bloom.
Polemonium 'Snow and Sapphires'
Actaea simplex 'Pink Spike' (formerly known as cimicifuga ramosa) - this gets BIG, so give it space!
Tradescantia Virginiana (pretty but beware that it does spread and some find it invasive. Hasn't been invasive for me in zone 5a, yet. It's roots are very stubborn if you try to move it, though.)
Dicentra, of course!
Ground covers: vinca minor (also potentially invasive, though mine behaves), sweet woodruff, pachysandra

All of these flower. As others have said, hostas are lovely, too. (Unfortunately for me, slugs have been just as fond of my hostas as I am.) I like ferns and astilbes, as well, but don't have great luck with either. I think they like more moisture than I want to have to routinely give them.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone:)

Gardenlady123 ...... South Rockwood is right off I75, in between Detroit and Toledo

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Geeze, it would help if, when I say, "the photo is of 'Purple Rain' in bloom," I actually include the photo! D'oh!

This guy has been blooming for a couple weeks now and still has plenty of buds.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I am going to have to find some of the rooguchi. It is a beautiful clematis for the shade.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

yes, my plants are doing very awsome this year!!! the rooguchi that is. i have no blossoms yet but am not really sure when they blossom.... will have to look that up. mine were very small when i recieved them and someone suggested to pot them for last summer and let them grow in there. now i put them in the ground last fall and they are doing great!!! cant wait to see the flowers. but im very impatient that way! Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.