Oh No!!! Peaches in Georgia

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

So I have been very happy with the development of my 2 peach tress so far. The are nice and green and healthy and have nice little buds of fruit. This will be the first year the trees will bear for us. Last year got wiped out by the frost.

So at lunch I'm chatting with a co-worker and we were discussing our gardens and I mentioned my trees and he asked if I followed the spraying regimen. I told I had no idea what he was talking about and that I knew I had to spray for worms. He mentioned that there is a very specific protocol to follow and it should have been started when the blooms were on the tree and that there were set intervals to spray at (7 days etc) He said he has never got peaches to grow in GA.

Anyone know what he is talking about? Are my peaches doomed??? :-(

BB

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

He is right about starting a spraying program to insure quality peaches but I don't know about 7 days as the interval. You do begin around the time of the blossoms and follow a regimen on regular intervals (2 to 3 weeks?)

You can work with wormy peaches (make pies, freeze, can) but I wouldn't bite into one. You should also thin your fruit for bigger peaches but often they thin themselves.

I would do an online search for a program to follow for coming years.

Thanks

He just said 7 days after blossom was one interval.

Oye Vey

I thought I had it made

BB

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

BB check with you county agent. UGA should have the latest word on peaches in Georgia. Mine do fine with a 14 day spray interval summer. The winter-Spring dormant sprays are important to maintain healthy trees. Peaches are easier in Georgia and South Carolina than in Many areas. Never had Peach Leaf Curl here as an example. That stuff is a bear.

Thanks Farmerdill

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad you brought this up. I have heard to spray when they blossom, and then I have heard that it is very bad to spray when you have blossoms - that you don't want to disturb any birds and bees - you want them to pollinate the trees. This will also be my first year to sample the fruit and the frost got me last year, too.

I have some of that fruit tree spray that can also be used on apple trees, blueberries, I'll to go out and check the bottle if you want the name of it. So, do you reccommend spraying all the different kinds of fruit trees at the same time - every 2 weeks?

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I found this info! It might help. http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/fieldcrops/gapeach/plantprotection.html

Thanks for the info. Looks like I missed the critical times. I may spray with some neem oil just to be on the safe side

Wish me luck!

BB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.