Please help id this Historic Iris (#3 photo)

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

This is usually the first of all of my Historic Iris to bloom in the spring.

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3
Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Could it be your great grandma's Banner Blue?

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Ya know Winnie, I have just become so frustrated in trying to id Grandma Hurd's iris.
The one that I had identified and listed as 'Autumn Twilight' was nicknamed by my Grandma....she called it "Uncle Ted" since it was Uncle Ted's favorite of all of her iris.
Also, I have never been able to locate anyone who has heard of 'Old Banner Blue'. I am beginning to think it is also a nickname given to that particular iris.

I am finding that back then they didn't seem to hold onto the specific cultivar name and instead they just called it by a name that would identify and distinguish it to them.

I just really would like to find the true names of these Historic Iris since they are being passed down through my family. My Momma who is 87 yrs. old is our last link to trying to recall possible names that she remembers Grandma Hurd talking about when she ordered them from the catalog.

Sadly, we may never be able to give accurate identities to these historics. I know that some of them are quite old.

If you should ever get an id on those iris of Grandma Hurd's from someone who should see them in your garden....please let me know.

Nana3

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

I will stick to Grandma Hurd's names for now. I'm not selling them so for now they will be named from the pics you sent. Will let you know if anyone id's them. Thank you again for sharing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.