Another Historic that needs a name. (#2 photo)

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

This is one of my favorites of my Grandmother's Iris.

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3
Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

On the back of this one you had Glen Ellen.Here are afew of the ones you sent to me.

This message was edited May 7, 2008 11:26 AM

Thumbnail by winnietn
Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Edited to say this one was marked Autumn Twilight

This message was edited May 7, 2008 11:25 AM

Thumbnail by winnietn
Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

#1is Mary Geddes....
Here's #3 no name on pic

Thumbnail by winnietn
Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Dauntless?

Thumbnail by winnietn
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Winnie,
I don't know if those earlier id's I had been given were right or not. I have now been told that the one that you have that you think might be 'Autumn Twilight' may instead be 'Alpine Glow' as seen on the Hips board.

Some of these iris, especially the old ones are very hard to id since a photo can really distort the color, etc. And, it is hard to find the older varieties that I think might be a match. I know they say the only true way to really id an iris is to purchase a rhizome of one you think it may be and grow it side by side and then compare the two.

So, don't hold onto the names I wrote on the backs of those photos as being the true id.
They just may be something entirely different.

Looks like the iris have done well for you...good to see Grandma Hurd's iris blooming in gardening pals gardens. It makes my heart swell....she loved to share her iris rhizomes and she would be pleased.

Nana3

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

There is a lady here that grows some of the older iris, and I think when we were doing our club garden tour I saw some that looks like your yellow and and the bicolored one. When we dig I know they will have picture's and names, I'll see if I can get you one if you would like me too. Or I can get you some different ones because I would love to have some of your grandmother's to go with mine from my grandmother and she called mine Eldon's problem and I know thats not the right name, mine are small and the blooms are dark purple and some years they rebloom in the fall. And I would love to mark them with her names. Susan

This message was edited May 8, 2008 7:28 AM

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

A picture of one of the old one's Susan

Thumbnail by susan505
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes Susan, I would love to trade rhizome for rhizome so I can add some different ones to my gardens. I love any and all of the iris varieties. Let me know. I can take pictures of mine as they bloom and dmail them to you so you can see what varieties I have to trade. In my zone, the iris are just now beginning to bloom....haven't reached peak blooming time yet.

Thank you.

Nana3

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

I'll put you on my list to get iris for when we dig. I usually endup with the small rhyzomes because the ladies want to throw them away, but they've all ways grown really well for me. Pictures will be nice, but I don't care what they are I just like iris . Thanks Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.