Show me your daturas in the landscape..

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

I am getting a black currant swirl datura metel and a datura inoxia, and while I *think* I have a good idea as to their habit, I would like to see what others have done with theirs as far as location and companion plants..so show me what you have done with your daturas!
Thanks!!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is my datura metel. It is a black curtain swirl. I recently pinched off all the flowers because the birds were pecking at them and tore them and thye looked really bad. I will post another photo when the flowers appear!

Tyler

Thumbnail by FoxtailFavPalm
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks!
Some many pictures just show the lovely blooms, but I like to have an idea on how the plants branch and spread..

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is a picture of F2 Black Currant Swirl. I grow mine in large planters .. with this picture you can see how the branches spread very well. Mine seem to keep compact with very little sprawl.

In my experience if datura gets sun all day they keep a vertical compact shape. If they are in an area that does not get full sun all day, or dappled sun, they will branch out considerably.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Those are very nice X. They look fairly newly grown! The leaves are nice and dark. I grew this first one in a pot and it started branching earlier than I expected. I think Im gonna pull it up and plant another in its place so its nice and tall like yours!

Tyler

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks .. that picture was taken during the first of July of last year .. I start mine in my greenhouse around January and put them out round the end of March .. I just throw a towel or blanket on the planters if a frost threatens. They love blazing hot sun and lots of water.

The picture shows the size they are when they are first planted out.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

X that is interesting to know that sun exposue is related to shape..I am hoping to put my black currant swirl in a full sun bed in the front..and I likewise hope it retains a more upright form than the sprawling inoxia.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I think they start searching for more sun if they don't have enough to suit them and that's why they start widening out, in order to meet their photosynthesis quota. In thinking about it, roses will do that too. If they have enough sun, all they have to do is grow upwards.

X

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

This is a pic from 06 but its still my favorite!
Caren

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

This is my monster BCS from last year. It was nearly 6ft tall by the time our frost stoped it.
Caren

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Tripple white from 06

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Wowzers!! BCS I just love.... my seeds did not do anything maybe next year : ).
Yours are all beautiful!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

kim, what temperature do u have these days? where did u plant ur seeds?

it's warm now.... I tried starting them in the house twice I got nothing :(

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

datura seeds need light and very warm temp like above 75 degs. F.

all my datura are grown in the ground. the seed pods disperse on their own. each year they come up on their own. datura seeds is similar to poppy seeds. i see the datura seeds all over the ground. i just water them when the temp get to over 75 deg F. i no time at all they emerge on their own.

try scatter soil where u planted the seed on the ground. see what happens. if they have not rotted yet, i am sure they will grow for u. good luck.

ma vie

Thanks I will give it try : )

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

hey Kim, we're on the same boat! rrrrrrrrrrr Clemen

hey there! I had some double white and tall yellow also... nada! I have a few left so I will take MaVieRose's advice and try again. I have 2 dats grownig from seed I collected I don't know the name they are common purple double... is that a name??

Asks he experts, aunt b or mavie! lol, Clem

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

double white is D. metel var. alba http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/50026/

double, triple or quadruple purple is D. metel var fastuoso aka Black Currant Swirl http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49910/

btw... i am no expert, i just know them by heart thru growing them personally.

ma vie, don't be humble, your advise is always great and it keeps you going! C

Now I really gonna try again they are gorgeous!!
Thanks, nite nite!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous pics...can't wait for my babies to "grow up" - most are in very large pots in front of house (southern exposure) so they should love it...still debating whether to put them IN the ground or not...

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Chantell, They will grow much bigger & better in ground. At least that has been my experience.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Caren, you aren't kidding. Yours were the best, biggest of daturas I've ever dreamed to see. They're bountiful!!!
Kim

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

They are such beautiful plants I can imagine why they are not used more.

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Caren - that last photos VERY nice!!! I guess it's laziness on my behalf b/c my intention was to over winter them along w/my plumies and I hate digging stuff back up to repot....not to mention the increase of creepy crawlies...LOL

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Ive heard you can over winter them inside but have never tried it. I just start them from seed every year. Fresh seed are much easier to grow so I let a few pods ripen. I trim them all other pods so I don't have volunteers coming up everywhere and with less pods to take energy from the plant the blooms just keep on coming!
Caren

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Currently I've one double dat. that's nuturing it last seedpod. The plant does wither after all of its energy is spent. I overwintered 3 of them, the other two continue to produce flowers while were indoor. These unlike brugmansias, they're very short lived. Lovely, nevertheless. Many said these seeds germinate covered. But, I'm with Caren, they appear to need light to germinate. They require adequate fertilizer to do well.
Kim

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm ya'll have given much food for thought - maybe I'll just over winter the Brugs and see if I can get seed pods from the Dats. Do they come true from seed or is it like the prize in the Cracker Jack box (prettier of course) ^_^

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

They do come true to its original parents. The single white, and double purple did for me.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhhh that's even better - surprises are nice but well sometimes you REALLY like something and it's good to know you'll get it back

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

There are some people that cross the purple and yellow doubles but I can't imagine how that would happen in a natural setting. I remember some time ago there were pics posted of a yellow purple cross but I don't know if they were stable.
caren

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

And special handling of their seeds once the pods are visibly ripe or are they handled pretty much the same as other seeds? Am I driving everyone nuts with questions that have been asked a million times yet? LOL Feel free to post links to threads on these you found helpful!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Yep, Wear gloves as they are pretty toxic and they feel nasty! Remove the seeds from the white pulp and let them dry on a paper towel for a few days. I store mine in a zip bag. Not very high tech but is works for me. ;o)
caren

MaVie, Did you ever find seeds to the large triple white datura? If not I have a few with your name on them.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, my, Caren! What lovely dats! And what great shots!!! I love the first one of the yellow - with all those lovelies in the background. When I die I want to be buried in your garden!!!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL!!I can reserve you a slot for a nominal fee, but no haunting please!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, dang! Guess I'll just have to behave!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Amazing, Caren! I cannot imagine more blooms on a plant than the one you show from BCS '07. My plants were planted out late this year as we had rather cold nights well into June, so my crop will be quite late. I've seen the most unusual spring ever this year with so much rain and extended cold. My shade garden, however, has gone wild and the hostas, ferns, etc., are the largest ever. Several hostas have extended to 8' wide so I've been busy removing the lower leaves so there's room for neighbors.

Tussee

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Oh my.....now I can't wait to get mine! How fast do they grow, and will I get blooms by the fall from a 6 inch pot?

"eyes"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.