CLOSED: New Bird For Me!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Ok, I know it's a new bird but not sure which one :-) The best I can come up with is either a female or juvie male Blue Grosbeak???
Here are 3 pics and then it was gone, never could get the front or underside.

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
(Zone 1)

Great Photo! I sure wish I could get some good pictures of birds! They seem to fly away before I can get them!

Your bird may be a female? http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i5970id.html

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

That's what I'm thinking it is, I hope so!! I cheat when I take most of my pics, I sit in my vehicle so I'm partially hidden ;-) My feeders are all outside of my main yard so I have to be sneaky, LOL. Taking them in the woods or field is another story, much more of a challenge.

(Zone 1)

My feeders are all in the backyard and we are going to put a bench out under the tree so I can sit with the camera and try to get some photo's. I got my first ever bird picture last week of a Mockingbird (very common here in Florida) but I was so surprised it landed on an old chair sitting in the yard, and actually sat there while I was just a few feet away!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

If you sit out there enough, they'll get more used to you. I can actually sit out in the middle of the feeding area and move around a little bit and the resident birds don't get too upset. I try to hide for the new comers though.

Nice Mocking Bird pic! Try putting out some apples & oranges for him. Last year mine ate both, this summer, they are favoring the apples. I just cut them in half and stick them on the ends of the shepherd's hooks or on a little metal feeder made for fruit.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

yah, kinda does look like her:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Blue_Grosbeak.html

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I looked there and in all 3 of my bird books last night. I'm about 99% sure that's what it is...maybe Resin will be around later and can make it 100% ^_^ If it is the female, I'd sure LOVE to get a peak at the male, I've never seen them in person before. That's one of the hazards of having to work, I don't know what all I miss during the day :-( but then again, it does buy all of their feeders & foods!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, female Blue Grosbeak

Resin

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Yippee, thank you very much Resin!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.