Some Cannas slower than others?

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

I put in a Canna bed last fall, carefully planned with the tall reds in the back, and some shorter pinks in the front, and dead center, my beautiful little Ermine (white). Everything did just fine before the first frost.

Now, most of my cannas have come back. I lost a couple of the pinks, but the one I'm most upset about is my centerpiece Ermine. She was perfectly healthy last fall, but is showing no sign of life yet. Most everything else is almost a foot tall already.

Do you think I lost her? Or is it possible she's just slower?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

It's possible she is taking her time and it's possible she is more frost senstive and the ground chill was too much for her? I dunno, hopefully someone else will pop in and stop my blabbering :)

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

If it were me I`d go do a little digging to see if the roots were ok. If you see nothing or brown mushy stuff then you lost the plant. If you see a healthy white rhizome and little green eyes forming buds then the canna is beginning to sprout and grow again.

Karen

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Me too, I'm a big digger when I feel I should be seeing something.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

haha!! I'm afraid to dig her up, 'cus if she's dead I've lost all hope. Silly, huh? lol And what if I dig it up, she's ok, and I damage her?

I dug up one of the pink ones to see it had died, tho. There's still no sign of life from Ermine, tho, so I guess when I put the flowers in the front of the bed, I'll dig her up then to check.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

lol You have to be very careful and try to dig around her.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes, pretend you are a archaeologist and dig lightly to find where she is and then examine the roots. If there is rotting you could indeed save the plant by cutting off the bad parts and replanting. If it is badly rotted then it could be a loss.

Karen

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Ok, thank you!! :))

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

A very good advice Karen! I was worried about my Autumn Gold, cause it still hasn't peek out of the ground like the others had. Well, not thinking, I plunged the shovel blindly into the ground. Yikes...you guessed it. I cut a rhizome in half....a perfectly healthy one, just sleeping taking it's time to wake up!
Hurriedly, I apologize to it, say a prayer and cover it up again.

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

Well, that Ermine never showed up for the party, and I didn't even find anything when I planted the new one. ???

But, I now have my very first WHITE Canna bloom!! I ended up buying a new one, a baby, and she has her first blossom even tho she's only a foot tall! I'm really surprised at that, and very happy! :))) I'll post a pic soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.