live sphagnum moss

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have suggestions for a good place to purchase some live sphagnum moss? I would like to give some a try. Thanks...

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I feel silly answering as a newbie....but, I use lots of "dormant" moss in my snake enclosures and reuse it for my flowers. I prefer the long fiber sphagnum moss sold by Luster Leaf. It is a product of Chile. The size I buy are 432 cubic inch bags for just under $4 per bag in cases of 12. When soaked in water and wrung out a time or two and place in a low ventilation container where it can get a few hours of light with temps of 78 to 82 degrees it turns green and seems to revive itself. I don't know where to buy it live. I get mine at Home Depot. I will also be needing a new supplier because I heard Home Depot will be changing brands to Moser Lee which, in my experience, is full of sand: that is great for certain plants we are growing, just dirty for a reptile.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

That's interesting, I've heard that things can grow from bales of sphagnum moss also. I have some left over long fiber moss in the shed, it's been there for 2 years tho. I doubt that anything will grow from it yet, might try tho. Thanks for your reply.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

7oaks,
I just saw your post in the Ferns, Mosses...forum. The sphagnum moss I topped off my VFT's is turning lime green where it sits in water in the inner liner I made to hold the water. If it continues to green up I would be happy to send you a handfull. I'll continue to see what happens and I can contact you if it looks like it might do something more.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh Thank you! Hopefully it does well for you. For your sake, and mine! We're expecting more severe weather here tonight, seams like everyone has been getting hit. Hope no one gets any tornadoes in the states.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Come on out to Washington.

Hit the Forests along the west side, or in the olymipics. Its all over the place where it stays wet, and the soils are pretty quiet. Old growth forests have a ton, 2nd growth has a good bit, too. And some yards, like the area north of my house, has a bit too much for the grasses enjoyment.

The stuff is everywhere.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

7, apparently you can buy it from ebay too. Guaranteed live. Now you have me thinking about moss for my oak trees. I found live spanish moss sellers there too and wouldn't that look cool hanging there for the summer!

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

That would look cool. It would be interesting to see if it would grow on trees here. Our climate is so hot, windy and dry sometimes, (wet and humid the next day it seems!) If you try it, let us know...

oh I am going to try it for sure. I have oaks and a humid protected back yard so it should be fun for the summer. It is cheap enough to replace every year too. They say you just need warmth and humidity . Less than 20 bucks for five pounds of it.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Do keep us informed then. We live right by a creek with oaks also. Hence, 7oaks. Have you tried putting the lotuses in soil yet?

yep i have a little potting soil that stayed in the pot and some clayish stuff that my water lillies came in. They are doing very well and still getting bigger and putting out leaves.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

The other lady with lotuses from Wymore, is going to give me start of her's. Don't know what kind they are tho.
What type of gardening do you do sun, shade, mix?
I'm able to have both here.
Just realized I'm getting a little off topic here. sorry folks.

This message was edited May 31, 2008 2:58 PM

lol well you started the topic so you can take it where you will...and yes I do all of it, more shade variations than full sun. Lots of trees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.