diagnosis please

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

When I recently read about HVX, I thought I was "safe" because I had purchased from a locally well-known, kinda pricey garden center. Now I'm not so sure...the tag said 'Gold Standard' but I've since discovered another mislabeled hosta also purchased at this place. Uncertain if the green markings are in fact normal. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by plantmover

This is the other one that I'm 'suspect' of, a start I got last fall from one of my mom's clumps. I've guessed it to be 'Undulata' or 'Undulata Univittata.' Her plants have not reverted and appear stable; however, this start is less distinct in variegation and overall lacks as much white as hers. I don't know if it's just the nature of the plant or if there's something else going on.

Thumbnail by plantmover
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

That second one looks normal for a varigata but the first one would scare me. Sorry. If I were you I would post it on Hallsons Gardens and let Chris have a look. He will know for sure. BEV

After taking a look through a magnifying glass, I felt much better about the varigata but not so much on the other. That may explain why it just never thrived, prompting me to move it...along with several other divisions. I'm trying not to freak out and just resign to doing what I have to do to. I found the virus x forum on Hallsons and will try to get a confirmation from Chris. Will post whatever feedback I get. Thank you, Bev!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

You are more than wecome dear. Hugs BEV

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

first one definately looks like hvx to me :(

second one is correct, just normal for undulata to look like that

Thanks Jody....it goes tomorrow. Now I'm trying to remember where I moved it from last year; sure hope I didn't plop another hosta in the same spot.

By the time I heard of hvx, I had already purchased, planted, transplanted, divided, etc. I have a couple other varities that are on 'the list' also. I will keep a close eye on the rest, be diligent about cleaning tools, and just say "no" to the big box sale rack (tempting as those prices may be)! The fallout potential is quite nauseating....what a spoiler.

~plantmover

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I bought 5 Fried Bannanas in a bag at Walmart. Planted two of them in the house and put the others in the fridge. Mine were about 8inches tall and sent the others to other people. Got to looking at mine and they had HVX and had to contact those people and tell them to throw thiers out. Quite embarassing. BEV

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I agree with the others. Gold Standard is one of the varieties with a very high incidence of HVX. The Undulata looks OK to me and if your mother's plants are well established it would be unlikely for them to be infected.

Ann

Chris confirmed HVX...sooo sad. I can deal with losing one plant, but it's wondering how many others are infected that really hurts. At least I have a better idea of what to look for and what measures to take.

Bev, I may have to make a couple phone calls myself...definitely embarrassing.

Thank you for your help, ladies; I appreciate it!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I am so sorry, but I know how you feel. Two years ago I had one huge Golden Tiera that Chris verified and it just made me sick to have to get rid of it. It was not near any ohers but I still can't put a permrnant plant in there. I just fill it with Impatiants every year. It is a shame but guess we have to deal with it. Good luck with the others. HUGS BEV

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I thought that you can replant in the same soil after you wait just a couple weeks to make sure there is no living plant material in there?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Probably can. I just can't bring myself to put another hosta in there. Just me .BEV

Raleigh, NC

for us newbies, where is that website with the info? I just bought hostas from walmart

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Go to the Hosta Library. www.hostalibrary.org They have a nice section on HVX.

Hi bonjon & welcome. I couldn't resist the $1.50 Halycons from Walmart last fall...yikes.

Here's the link to Hallsons: http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=63

May all your plants be healthy!

Dallas, TX

OMG! What a bummer!

Yeah, it really is. I might be a little paranoid now b/c I'm looking so closely for any little indication; everything is suspicious looking. I'm noticing things about these hostas that I've never noticed before!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

plantmover
Don't let it deter you from hosta! :) Just buy from reputable hosta sellers (not just a reputable nursery who may or may not know anything about hosta, I have seen hvx at some very nice nurseries). Even then there is always a chance but nurseries that specialize in hosta should be more knowledgeable about hosta and hvx and less likely to have infected plants. Get hosta from places like hallsons, naylor creek, bridgewood gardens etc.

Really, it's not as bad as it may seem. Most of us hostaholics have been there already. Just dig, bag and dispose of the plant. It is only transferred from the sap in the plants so you can replant in the hole as long as you got all the roots out or have given enough time for them to decompose. I'm sure Chris told you to clean your tools between digging/dividing etc. I had a hosta with it a few years ago, and thus far not a single other hosta in my collection has shown any signs of it.

Thank you, jody. I enjoy and depend on them too much to give up. Now that I'm over that initial shock, I'm ready to do what I gotta do. Yes, Chris gave good sanitation instructions. I've disposed of the infected plant and will keep an eye out. I can only hope to be as fortunate as you!

plantmover, I had my moment of despondance last year over HVX...and not because I found an infected plant in my garden, but because I did keep seeing obviously infected stock at various local nurseries....and because 99% percent of my hosta came from nurseries as opposed to dedicated hosta growers, I feel quite certain that I've got some sick, but maybe dormant plants. The whole thing is very, very, very depressing. It seems to me if I'm seeing infected plants at nurseries as well as the big box stores, where everyone seems to expect to see it, the problem is rampant.

I've decided to to try to not worry about it, and to just live for the moment and enjoy my plants while I have them. Buy a lot of them, so that when you lose one, it's not so painful. I was very pleased with my mail order hosta last year and will go that route again for sure. And of course, disinfect your tools before/after doing any digging or cutting. Don't dwell on the what ifs, cause it will only get you down.

Thank you, Noreaster! I'll be purchasing from hosta growers in future. You're right about not worrying and dwelling on it...what's done is done, and I'm ready to move on and still enjoy gardening with hostas.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Purchasing from Hosta growers in the future will certainly reduce your chances of getting an infected plant, but it's no substitute for being vigilant and developing good habits about cleaning your tools between plants. The only (so far) infected Hosta I've had in my garden came from one of the most respected Hosta sources in Canada. Infected plants can and do slip by on occasion.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Yikes... looks like my "big box special" hostas are infected as well. I have them all over, but luckily have only put in a couple of hostas so far - however, I spent a LOT of money on lots and lots of little babies from co-ops this year. I will have to dispose of them before it is time to plant my new little ones.

What do you think? Here is the best photo I could find...

Thumbnail by Zarebeth

One thing I would like to do this year, is print out a concise page on HVX with pictures and have them with me when I go to visit nurseries. I have told the workers there about the virus whenever I've seen it, but I often wonder if they believe me or take me seriously. It's amazing how clueless they seem, because IMO, it's a very big deal! Maybe having a printout with all the info and leaving it there with the owner will help.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

A color print out of it would be the best.. I'll probably do that too. Excellent idea Noreaster! Thanks.

Zarebeth, as was recommended to me, try posting them on Hallson's site for confirmation. They have an entire forum dedicated to HVX and Chris' reply was speedy and helpful: http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=63. I couldn't part with mine until I was certain it was infected.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I will have to wait until they come up again this year, because I only took photos of the new beds right after I planted with no close-ups of the hostas themselves. The one in the photo above was newly planted, and may actually be okay, but I want to make sure before I plant the rest of mine. I may just get rid of them anyway since I have discovered the joys of named hostas and these aren't! Just a box of 12 I picked up when my house was first built. They do have very pretty purple flower spikes, though...

lol...I hear ya on the having the names to match the faces....makes updating the journal way easier! Good wishes to you and your hostas!

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

I am so glad I found this forum, now I don't feel so alone.  I planted my first hosta bed two weeks ago, buying from a locally respected nursery who assured me they knew about Hosta Virus X and they were disease-free.

Sigh, I have since gotten rid of four plants (2 Fragrant Bouquets and 2 Dream Weavers) and am carefully watching my others.  My question is am I likely to lose everyone of them, since I got the diseased ones out quickly?? I have co-op coming in June, so want to get everything squared away before that delivery comes in.

Should I go ahead and discard everything? Thanks in advance for any advice, Peg

Thumbnail by merpeg
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Whoa, are you sure they were diseased? When did you get them? Sometimes, in the panic of HVX we start discarding hosta that really aren't diseased. Do you still have the other plants? can you post pictures of them? Take a deep breath and relax a minute or two.

I'll second that, Ticker...merpeg, were you able to have your discarded hostas confirmed for HVX? There are other types of hosta viruses that don't require such drastic measures. I encourage you to check out the Hallson site. Just wouldn't want for you to get rid of plants if not necessary...

I'm in a wait-n-see mode myself, which will drive me bonkers if I let it. The neighbors must think I've lost it, out there daily (sometimes with the magnifying lens) looking at all these plants as if I've never seen a hosta before!

Yes Ticker, color pics would be best. If anyone knows the best website for clear info on HVX with good pics, please post a link.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Peg, Please do not get rid of that hosta yet. If you can get a close up of those two or three leaves and send them to Chris on Hallsos I would bet that this one is alright as far as HVX. It is a beautiful thing. Let me know please. BEV

The pictures (including the one on the first post) were two days after I bought them. They had the dessicated or collapsing tissue like the pictures on the Hosta Library site, (page 2). Until I saw those pictures I thought maybe it was a sunburn.

I did not get real closeup shots of the areas that I thought were infected, probably should have. I had just taken pictures of all of them to put with names, so I would remember what was what and where LOL

I would really like to wait and see on my other ones.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

Here's one of the other ones...

Thumbnail by merpeg

Me again :)

Here is what I am trying. The bare spots in the back are saved for what I ordered from a co-op.

Thumbnail by merpeg
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok, what are we supposed to be looking at? I don' t see anything wrong right off the bat..

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I didn't see anything wrong with the first picture you posted either...

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

plantmover -- not sure if #2 has been identified yet... but it looks like my Northern Sunray did last year.

This year, the green is lighter.

**Edited to add [found the image i was looking for ] ........ nope, mine is lighter. so it's not the same, only similar.
but same type of speckling.

This message was edited May 7, 2008 2:02 PM

Thanks for your time ladies, bear with me.

Here is a closeup of one of the leaves on the first one that I had a question about.

Thumbnail by merpeg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.