No growth yet-replace?

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

My landscapers planted 11 one gallon echinacea a few months ago. Of course they were dormant then, but they STILL haven't grown, and I live in California! Are they all duds? Do I need to dig them out, or hang in there awhile? Everything else is growing and blooming-roses, peonies, alstroemeria....help!

They were supposed to be "White Swan", if that makes a difference.

thanks!

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I'd be kinda hesitant to tell you to dig them up cause I don't know that much about your weather, soil, original plants etc....BUT, if you do dig them up and check them out etc.....You wash off all the old potting mix that might have been on the roots of them from the nursery and I promise you from my experience anyways they will grow better, faster and more healthily...the roots need to get to know their new neighborhood (soil) they will be spending their lives in, not the soil remants of the pot from the nursery......When I washed off the old potting mix and cleanup the roots and layed them out in a dug hole I've always had better results...ALWAYS.......now if you have soil that is perfect to begin with, (congratulations for one thing) then it might not matter as much but I wouldn't bet on it.....that's my two cents....and if I come across as dogmatic I apologize up front just I have had such good luck doing it the other way.....Good luck to you whatever you do, cone flowers are lovely to look at, fun to grow and glorious when they're mature......

Paul from Alabama

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Kathy,

Why don't you call the landscapers, and ask them if they should be showing growth. I would think that something would be up by now since it should be pretty warm in Zone 9 in May. Did you give you some type of guarantee on the plants? It hard to imagine that so many wouldn't have growth yet. Maybe they can send someone out and have them check.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

For all my blathering in my first post, I think pennefeather has the most practical idea.......

Paul from Alabama

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

A reputable landscape company will guarantee their perennials for one year. Give them a call. Coneflowers should be up by now, especially in your zone.

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, I think they should be up by now! Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll get the landscaper to bring me new ones, but I will plant them, as I think they just shoved them in a hole in our lovely clay soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.