cutting back question?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i have not cut back my clematis jackmanni yet, and it should have been cut back at the end of march or early april. 2 of them are leafing out up the trellis and the 3rd is only leafing out on one stem. i cut the dead ones back. anyhow, what is the best corse of action for this year? cut them back to 12-18" now? or leave them be???? or something in between???????????
looking forward to your answers.
sincerely,
debi z and franklin my gardening doggi

Thumbnail by debi_z
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes definitely prune each vine to about the length you mentioned for Pruning group 3's only bloom on the new vines produced during the growing season ..and don't forget to give either some rose or tomato fertilizer if you haven't topdress with composted cowmanure...Jeanne

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

thank you jeanne. i'll add that to my "to do list" today. :-)

loving spring here.
debi & franklin

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Debi - if you follow Jeanne's directions and take photos every 7 days you'll see how amazingly fast it will grow.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i see them from my window here at my computer every year i'm amazed at how fast they grow. but for some reason they don't like it were they are. i have 3 trellis's next to each other. i have planted new clematis on the first 3 times and the 2nd 2 times. the third has the original. i think i'm going to try composted cow manure. how much do i need to use?
debi z & franklin

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If you're going to use it as a top dressing I'd use an entire 40 pound bag. First I'd sprinkle some 5-10-5 down all around every root zone and then spread the manure and top it with a nice mulch. The manure never goes as far as we'd like to think it does. Make sure it says DEODORIZED and preferably "Composted". Agway should have it.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Deb..how much sun is that area getting ...do you have clay?...How much moisture are they getting?..Jeanne

Franklin sure is a cutie.
What a sweet little face.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i'll get that manure this week, and no i don't have clay. i have some nice soil there actually and i ammeneded further when i planted them. they normally get a fair amount of water during the season.
i'll do the same to the other clematis i have too.
thank you and yes chrismascactus he is a real cutie.

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi debi z and franklin,

You are such a cutie, Franklin! I have two Pekingese doggies - male, and female, and boy, they love being in the garden with me. I'm sure you'll agree, once you've been so privileged as to have the company of "royalty", you will never want to have another type of dog.... Here is a picture of Cody shortly after he came back from the doggie parlour - with some "evidence" on his nose...

Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

and here is Jane... eating her chew stick.

Thumbnail by Elsa123

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.