Destructive Lonicera?

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

I have a huge Lonicera japonica ( I think) growing up the side of my house. My DH is concerned that it will grow under the shingles and cause damage (we once had a horrible problem with ivy). I don't think so, but really don't know.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

This is the vine

Thumbnail by kudrick
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Kudrick - I was told the Japanese variety is incredible invasive - but oh my how pretty :) I am positive the experts can give you more info :-)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Looks like l. sempervirens but I have read people complain about it's invasiveness. I personally love mine.

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

But is invasive the same as destructive?

Thanks Bec; you might like this pic I took in January!

Thumbnail by kudrick
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Well, hmmmm now we get into the discussion of linguistics here - invasive to me can mean a couple of different things :-) Destructive is just that - destructive :) LOL

Invasive: tending to invade; characterized by invasion; aggressive
invading, or tending to invade; intrusive

Destructive: tending to destroy; causing destruction or much damage

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ive never had my honeysuckles destroy anything. Only invade LOL.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My run-of-the-mill regular old 'halls honeysuckle' is a tad invasive. It will easily layer itself well beyond where I intended to grow.

My wisteria is destructive, it is literally destroying the wooden arbor that helped it grow so well.

My coral honeysuckle is neither. It is very well behaved and has never caused any damage, or propagated itself.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 8a)

Honeysuckle not destructive; my crossvine is destructive to surfaces. It has little pads like ivy does, and attaches itself to structures. The honeysuckle twines as opposes to grips, and isn't nearly as heavy as woody vines such as roses and wisteria. Invasive yes, but I haven't had any problem with that so far. You can limit invasiveness by sinking an extra large bucket with the bottom cut out into the ground as a sort of planter for the vine. No runners means 80-90% (or more) invasiveness cut off at the knees! People use the same trick to contain bamboo or any plant that spreads rapidly through runners.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I bought this plant in a one gallon about five years ago. It has become a large beautiful plant, but not at all invasive. The hummers love it and I enjoy it.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

I have grown the Texas native coral honeysuckle for over 20 years and it has never been any thing but a friend. Does not invade or destruct.

This one grows up a trellis around a birdhouse in the middle of a richly planted butterfly garden. It has never interfered with other plant growth

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

I should have added that it can be trimmed or cut way back without any damage....mine seems to be very slow growing, what you see has been there for five years from a twig of a start....

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

thanks jackie. really nice pic

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

I have the local specie of honeysuckle, and have seen it go in the seam of the T-111 siding and come out in a window sill. I have opened up a wall to put in new sheetrock and found miles of dead vines from it in the wall. My rule for vines, is they belong on a fencepost or arbor away from the house. Frank

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.