Couldn't resist, bought 2 VFT on Thursday.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

....now I'm in the see if you can keep it alive and hopefully thrive mode. Bought 2 to better my odds and because they had just arrived the week before and looked in very good shape. So far I have done nothing to them besides opening the top, placing near sunny window and staring at them. It has been difficult to resist attempting to feed them or poking at those little trigger hairs. I have read nearly all the topics on DG about VFT and bought the Barry Rice book (looked at the pictures dozen of times) and checked out nearly all the links I've found in the posts/responses. If only I could remember everything I read!

Lots of sources say to move them outside into bright indirect light. I'm scared to do this in 7 with the Texas 105 heat (coming just around the corner) and the harse windy conditions we experience until about 1st of June. Our humidity is mostly 0 %. If I cover them outside I think they will fry, so at this point I don't know what to do. Several sources say NO fertilizer ever.....others say a dilute 10% every 4 to 6 weeks. Some say place pots in tray of water several centimeters deep other say just keep the soil evenly moist.

Can I use the water from the air conditioner produced from condensation? Distilled water isn't a problem, just wondering....what about lake water?

Maybe that little bog garden thing is the best idea for me. I got 2 so I could experiment, but I'm afraid to do anything. Gosh, I think I need to lighten up. These are only my entry level plants....too bad they didn't have pitcher's, they seem a little more tolerant.

Help! (please)

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

They need to go outside in full sun. Use rainwater or distilled water only. DO NOT COVER THEM.

Stop worrying and enjoy them!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

One is outside now. Thank you. They are so cool....just afraid to kill them. It is really weird, I'm less worried about keeping my snakes healthy....probably 'cause I know more about them from asking and doing. Usually I know what I'm doing (LOL, so I'd like to think) this is completely new to me and it does feel good to be the newbie. Makes me feel a bit more eager to help those who ask me those beginner questions.
Thanks,
Linda

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Linda, I have mine in the window and they seem happy. NEVER use any water other than a distilled or rain water like was said above. I lost my first one because I didn't know you could give it tap water. Poor little thing just couldn't make it because of my not know ing about the water. I have 2 others now and I baby them to death. They are like children. They even have names:
Sodapop and Sunshine, the one that pasted away was poor little Sadie.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I have been using only distilled water and lots of it! I haven't named mine yet....but Sunshine is a great name. Do you know what I should do about the insect carcasses left in the trap after they digest a meal? Seems like I should clean it out somehow, but not sure how without triggering the trap. I suppose in their natural environment it just stays there unless rain washes it out.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I don't think you need to clean it out. They usually die and are replaced by a new one. I guess if you really want to clean them you need something very thin to flick it out of the trap with out triggering it.

Jamshedpur, India(Zone 10a)

Hi! I want to buy a venus fly trapper for my garden .Ready to also pay for the postage pl LMK if any one can help me.
I have alot of intresting plants for trade also.The sad part is no Carnivorous nusery trade in India.So if some one can buy and post me the vft i shall apreciate.
Thanks
Jasmine

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I have two VFTs in a little bog with underground watering, and mine are doing very well with this setup. The two VFTs are a normal form and 'Red Dragon' which is all red, and too cool for school.

I water with tap water as I live in western washington where I know the tap water is very low in hardness and dissolved solids, and it appears to be working well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.