Feeding myths

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I was sent a link to a page on the Alberta's Ag site that talks about some feeding myths, many of which I've heard too. This is the list of topics:

Myth: Bran mashes have a laxative effect | Myth: You should never give a horse straight alfalfa | Myth: Beet pulp is a just a filler | Myth: Beet pulp must be soaked before you feed it | Myth: High protein feeds make my horse too high spirited | Myth: Performance horses need a high protein diet | Myth: High protein diets cause development problems in foals | Myth: Corn and barley are 'heating' feeds | Myth: Rolled oats are better than whole oats | Myth: Canola oil is toxic to horses | Myth: Blue salt is for cattle only | Myth: Always feed hay before you feed grain | Myth: Horses must be cooled down after exercise before allowing them to drink | Conclusions | Suggested reading | About the author

If you're interested, take a look:: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/hrs3243

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!