keeping worms cool

Cave Creek, AZ

I'm new with worms. I am having a hard time keeping their bins cool. How often do you all water them too? I don't want to go nuts but I want to take good care of them.
MickeyAz

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Are your worm bins in the sun or is it just the AZ ambient temperature or compost activity that is causing them to heat up?

Cave Creek, AZ

We just set the worms up. They're in a a shelter that is below the grade but the are covered from above at all times. They seem to be getting a little cooler now. There were spots that were getting over 100 degrees. I think I shouldn't have used the bag of starter they gave me when I got the bins. I'm using coffee grounds as a base. I water and stir them every other day. We did have afan on them but I don't think that made them any cooler. I worry about summer.
Thanks,
Mickey

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Mickey, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "shelter that is below the grade". Is your worm bin in the ground? I would think that the ground would provide some thermal insulation. Can you surround the bin with something that would keep the heat out or reflect the sunlight?

Cave Creek, AZ

Garden-mermaid,
THe storage area use to be for one of my husbands tractors. A barn with no sides, just a roof. His next tractor was too tall so he had to dig the barn out and dig below the footings so he could get the tractor in . The bins don't get sunlight and they are sitting on the ground in the barn with no side walls.
Mickey

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

MickeyAZ,
Hi, I don't know about watering worms, I live here in Oregon, so we have to put a rood over them to keep out the excess rain.
I suggest that you cover the worm bins with a roof or lid and cover the lid with old polyester or synthetic carpet or some old polyester clothes and sprinkle them each day. The water in the carpet or clothes will evaporate and cool the worms. By using old synthetic carpet or polyester clothes they will not rot so you won't have a stinky mess on your hands. You can get old clothes from goodwill or someplace.
Hope this helps.
Bod Bless you.

Cave Creek, AZ

lonejack.,
This is a worm update. I don't even check the temp of my worms. I have feen putting a layer of wet newspaper on the top of them. Every 2 days or so I pour water over the top it get the newspaper wet. They seem like they are doing fine. I finaly got some carpet for them too. That was harder to get then I thought it would be,. I found a large piece of carpet in town on bulk trash day.
They seem to love the water melon rinds. I have all kinds of bugs in the bins.
I forgot if ants were a problem however.
Mickey

Paris, TN

ants are a problem but you can sprinkle a little lime in your bins to get rid of them worms love wet newspaper too

If heat is still an issue-try some loose wet straw perhaps. It works just like the pads in a swamp cooler, cooling the air as it passes through, and cooling the surface beneath, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.