Can anyone help. nice smelling shrub in bloom

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

I came across this nice smelling shrub here on long island, I got a cutting and bloom, the smell is lovely, the shrub looks a litlle like a hydrangea, any one has any ideas what it is. I am going to try to root this baby.....Thanks for any input you may have, I am sure one of you have this shrub at home, Clemen

Thumbnail by Clemen
Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

That looks like the wonderful Korean Spice Viburnum—V. carlesii. It is very fragrant and the deer don't like it either!

More pix: http://images.google.com/images?q=korean+spice+viburnum&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1

This message was edited May 4, 2008 7:41 AM

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes, I have two of them-everyone remarks on the fragrance. Some neighbor kids came over the other day and asked for a garden tour. They took home some V. carlesii blooms so their families could smell it.
If you want to start small plants, Bluestone has both V. carlesii and V x burkwoodii (a similar relative) for $11 ea.

That's it, that's it! I guess it can grow in part sun, part shade. I think i iam going to try to root the cutting. Clem

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

It gets about 8 x 8 ft. There are smaller ones that are similarly fragrant. Aside from burkwoodii, which Don mentioned, are judii, 'Compactum' and 'Cayuga'.

Wow, they can get pretty big! Clem

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a good privacy plant. Will have to look into the shrub to see if it will suit my needs. Thanks for the help when you didn't even know you were helping ;)

And the fragrance is divine!

Yes, viburnums in general are dense so they do make nice screens.

Victor, for how long do they stay in bloom?

Varies by species & variety. Just about all go at least about 10 - 14 days. Doublefile viburnum goes for 2 - 3 weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.