Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Vol. 3

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone...we are continuing from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/836200/

Our first Hummer showed up on 4/17 and we now have 2 pair...a backyard pair and a frontyard pair! They are so much fun to watch and I'm lucky enough to see them very often either sipping their nectar or resting on a branch or fence. Here is one of the males at his favorite feeder.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here he is resting on a little twig!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is one of the little females.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

She heard the camera click!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Became alarmed...

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Then ignored me!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

Great pictures! Hummers are so much fun to photograph since they are so tame. Wonder why that is??

Marlton, NJ

Excellent pics Rose!!!

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Hummers are so much fun to photograph since they are so tame. Wonder why that is??

Because they've never been hunted, so have no reason to fear people.

Resin

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Great pics, my sister made several closeups shot one summer and had a calendar made from them. They are fearless little creatures. I have a cat that loves to catch birds, but they know they are fast sometimes I have seen them almost taunt her.

On another note, the kids spotted a bald eagle yesterday. We live near a wetlands area so I plan on keeping an eye out for the big birds but enjoy these little ones in my yard everyday.
Teresa in KY

Batavia, OH(Zone 6a)

Rose, great pictures. That little female stuck her tongue out at you, LOL.

I am seeing them more regulary, though they're so quick I can't prove it with a camera. They just get on the feeder for a quick lap, and they're gone.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you all for your kind comments...what a nice way to start the day!!

Resin I hadn't thought about them not being hunted contributing to their tameness but it makes sense.

I had read that the little Hummers have different areas they will perch and rest and I have enough windows that I have observed this all day long. Since I am retired I have lots of time to bird watch and know how lucky I am to have discovered this passion and have the time to pursue it. What a great way to spend the day is all I can say!

Teresa...Lucky you to live near the wetlands and see such a variety of birds...Bald Eagle to the Hummer!! Wowers!!

Coo...I noticed that little females tongue...cracks me up!! Here is the male showing his tongue while perched on one of his resting perches.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful pic Rose!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

A couple of shots from this morning, though not equal to Rose's!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

This feeder gets the morning sun, so not the best lighting either.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

last one...

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

Nice shots nanny!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice shots of a handsome hummer Nanny!

Marlton, NJ

Anyone else seeing Ruby-throateds around?

Still waiting for my regulars!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

super jealous of Rose and Nanny right now. I had one male yesterday morning, so that makes two total, but seems like he moved on already, I have not seen him since.

Rose, dont' tell the cows you are retired!

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have at least two males. Still waiting for the regular crowd to get here! GM

Don't be too jealous ! The ones we have had seem to be those just passing through, not our regulars yet!

Well okay, but as one who has only been getting the fall visitors, I'm skeptic. BUT, today's visit from a red-breasted grosbeak may have changed things for me.!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This little fella was sitting on the Snowball Bush as it was raining with his little wings outstretched! He did this for a long time and I have never seen them do this before. It was just so sweet....

Thumbnail by dellrose

Good golly woman, were you sitting on top of him? Outstanding!

Marlton, NJ

That is a great pic! Were you outside?

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Mrs. Ed and Pelle! I was standing in the garage about 12-14 feet away with the zoom lens at 390mm! It helps when they just sort of sit still!

hee. yah, how did you train them to do that!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Dellrose, those hummer photos are stunning!!!! We "only" get Annas and Rufous out here in the PNW, but I have a ton of them and feel very fortunate.

Nanny, great job on yours as well - aren't they just incredible???!!!

Marlton, NJ

Hi Murmur, So good to see you!

Your always welcome to start your own thread on the types of Hummingbirds you have! We would love to see them!

Pelle :-)

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Pelle - I just might do that. I haven't been around much lately due to DH's health, but what a pleasant surprise to come back and find such incredible photography going on!!!

Marlton, NJ

Murmur, I would love to see a Rufous or Annas Hummingbird someday!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

My feeders are filled and waiting but no hummers yet!! I am enjoying all of your pics everyone - they are great!! Eleanor

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Murmur thanks so much I am glad you are enjoying the pics. I too think you should start a thread on the Hummers you get in your area, I would love to see them!! You live in a beautiful area!

rose, that is a one of a kind shot!

I'm with you pelle, would love to see a Rufous or Anna someday!

Thanks Murmur, hopefully will have better pics once the regulars show up!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Fantastic shots Rose! Great pics of the male with his tongue out, and bathing in the rain!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Nanny and Wallaby!

Wallaby..So he was bathing in the rain? It was almost surreal watching him!!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

It looks to me like he was bathing, I would have thought so anyway or he wouldn't have looked like he was enjoying it so much!

He may have been just fluffing his feathers out to keep the rain off, but if he had wanted to not get wet surely he would have gone somewhere drier.

Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

I have watched hummers flying through sprinklers (the gentle oscillating kind). I suppose even shallow birdbaths are too deep for the little guys.

But I'm sure all birds like to bathe somehow. Driving through the country once in the rain, we saw two posts flanking a drive. On top of the posts were statues of.........BUZZARDS??? Suddenly, the 'statues' moved. They were buzzards taking advantage of the rain, wings and tails outspread, slowly rotating on the posts, evidently taking a shower in the rain! Where's the camera when you need it??

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Saw my first hummer today. I was on the deck where the feeder is hanging so he didn't stick around very long. Eleanor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.