CLOSED: Has anyone seen a nest like this one?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is in a little nesting box that chickadees used last year...I never see the bird. BUT I think I saw a little creeper type bird go in there last week. I just thought it was looking...lol What do you think...it is NOT a cup nest for sure...it appears to have an entrance at the hole of the birdhouse and then maybe an exit at the top rear...of course they can't get out there because of the roof of the house...so I don't know...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is another shot of the way it is built, or I should say what it is built out of...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Last one...very strange nest to me though..

This message was edited May 3, 2008 10:10 PM

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I also have a Grey Cat Bird nesting in my shrubs by my porch...here is a picture of the first egg she layed...it is the prettiest aqua/blue color! She is also a very pretty bird!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Marlton, NJ

That is a very pretty egg!

Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

What a MESS that nest is!! I'll be curious to hear what built it. And that egg is about the prettiest color I've ever seen. So glad you got a pic!

Orchard Park, NY

Janet - The materials look like twigs, flower buds and remnants from seed pods. Hmmm.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Isn't that egg just beautiful! It looks like a CANDY egg placed in the bushes...lol I will try to sit "berry berry still" on my porch and see if I can snap a shot of the two birds. The cat bird and the mystery bird...lol That is the most interesting nest I have seen!

I have other birds nesting at the end of the porch, so I will see if I can spot their nest today as well.

Have a beautiful and blessed Sunday everyone!

Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

DH is a country boy and says it looks like something a pack rat would build. Really strange.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Mima...that was my first impression also!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Nope it is a bird...here she is, but it is a zom shot and not much to go on...I will try to get one from the top side of the porch. I just happened to be walking around the yard with my camera and saw her going to the box.

Thumbnail by JanetS
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Looks like some sort of Wren...but I'm new and usually clueless!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

House Wren

Resin

Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

I agree with Resin, seeing the bird. We have watched wrens attempt to get all sorts of sticks into little nest boxes. But yours evidently hasn't figured out just how to construct his nest, has he??

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, that is what she is...I was on the porch "without" camera...lol and she came out of the box and perched a while so I had a good look at her. The nest looks like it has an entrance and an exit when I open the box...kind of spherical shaped. She is certainly very hyper! LOL

The cat bird laid another egg, or there were two in there and I only saw one yesterday. From where I look it appears they have white cracks coming in them already, so maybe the two were already there...I just can't know for sure. She does "meow" when I get close though...it is pretty cool.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

With the wrens, the male builds several nests and then shows them to the female, who eventually picks her favorite. I just can't see any woman in her right mind wanting to lay eggs in that mess!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL....that is too funny. I didn't know that bit of info. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.