MIXED SEED NUTS! Join us! May 3 to ??

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

COME JOIN SOME MIXED-UP CRAZY GARDENERS FOR A LITTLE FUN!

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/837618/

DO YOU LIKE SURPRISES? Come join our monthly mixed seed swap!!

Each month participants will mail their seeds to the monthly hostess. The hostess will mix all the seeds together in a bowl, and then mail a packet of mixed seeds back to each participant.
Please post before and after pictures on here, so we can all enjoy the results!

SEE NEXT THREE POSTS FOR CURRENT OPEN SWAPS!!

Future 'mix-ups': And Hostesses:

April: Garden Aprons /Oneanjl $$ Due by 4/25 CLOSED
May: Sunflower / LorraineR (seeds due May 5th)CLOSED
June: bulk seed swap / Jojoringer CLOSING MAY 12??
July: Hot Pepper seeds (not mixed) / Oneanjl
August: Mixed Prairie seeds / Chatnoir
September: Herbs (not mixed) /
October: Mixed Bulbs / Gourd
November: Mixed Zinnias & Gloves / Oneanjl
December: Secret Angel Swap /BeckyGardener
January 2009: Tomato seeds (not mixed) / LorraineR
February 2009: Mixed up Cosmos??
March 2009: Mixed seed/ LorraineR

The Mighty Oak was once just a lil nut...who stood it's ground!

This message was edited May 3, 2008 2:26 PM

APRIL APRONS: (CLOSED)

How would you like a souvenier apron signed by all your DG friends?!

Money will be due by April 25th, Please mail checks for $7.00 to OneanjL (I'm in address exchange or dmail me)

I have purchased 12 plain canvas aprons and 'fabric paint' pens. The $7 will pay for the apron,the cost of paints, postage and bubble envie to mail the completed apron back to you. Once I receive all of the payments, I will begin the round robin by mailing the box of aprons to the first participant. When you get the box of aprons, you will sign your DG name, and do whatever lil decoration you want to add to all 12 aprons. Put a self addressed label in the box (so I can send you back your Apron) and then mail it to the next person on the list. You will pay the priority or 2 day shipping cost to mail to next participant (approx $5) Once the box of aprons and labels's has travelled to all 12 participants, it will then be sent back to me (10 weeks later?) and I will mail an apron to each participant. This will be a fun usable souvenier of our nutty group of swappers! :o) This swap will be limited to 12 participants. Please let me know if you will be participating so I can add your name to the list below.

April Aprons Participants:

LorraineR
Oneanjl/PAID
Tetleytuna/PAID
Jojoringer/PAID
Gourd/PAID -owe $3 refund
SusanDonB1141/PAID
SunnyG/PAID
BeckyGardener/PAID
Nanniepb/PAID
SanteeLady/

I plan to start shipping on 5/5 or 5/6. This is the route that the Aprons will travel :o)
Gourd-NM
Tetley- MO
Nannypb- TN
SusanDonB1141-NC
Beckygardener-FL
JoJoringer-TX
LorraineR-TX
SanteeLady-CA
SunnyG-CA
Oneanjl-CA (how come I'm always last?!)

Once I get them back, I will ship them to each of you in a bubble envie. PLEASE put a label in the box with your address on it so I can ship yours back to you! Thanks!

This message was edited May 4, 2008 9:07 PM

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, here i is

Joey in Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

June "Pot Luck" Bulk Seed Swap Hosted by jojoringer
(I hope you don't mind, Sonoita stole your name! )

1) Limit 20 people / Seeds due to Jojoringer no later than June 15th

2) Each participant should send their in their seeds divided into enough packs to send each other participant a packet plus 1 extra for our donation to the newbie swap.(this is optional) Example: If we have 15 participants the you would divide your seeds into 15 packs, that's 14 for each participant and 1 for the newbie packs. (you won't be sending one to yourself!)

3) Packets should contain a minimum of 20-25 seeds. If you are sending in large seeds or something special or like hibiscus seed or daylily seed less is ok, if it's something tiny like flax then more is better! Basically send something you would want to receive! If you have any questions just drop me a line!

4) D Mail me (jojoringer) before you send in your seeds and let me know what you are sending in, so we don't get repeats.

5) Label each packet with the Latin name/cultivar and any information you have about the seed you might have. If you are harvesting your own seed and don't have all the scientific info, that’s ok too, just let us know color, height, sun, etc from your own experience.

Here is a link to tons of templates for making your own handy dandy packets
http://davesgarden.com/files/daves_garden/
6) Have fun and be creative!! (and being silly helps around here too!) :~P

******Now if your like me and don't have enough seeds from your own garden to share yet (you will if we have anything to do about it!) Here are a few sited that sell seeds in bulk at great prices! You can buy a batch here and divide it up into packs for the swap.
http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=Hazwho
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/BulkSeed.htm
http://dianeseeds.com/
They are also great for your own garden!

So in the bubble envelope you send in there should be:
,1) Seed Packets
2) A self Addressed Label
3) 4 - 41 cent stamps (I'll send one back if I don't need all 4)
4) Hint If you seal your bubble envelope with tape rather than the sticky stuff that comes with it, I don't have to rip it open and can use it to send your stuff back to you. Reduce, reuse recycle! :~)
5) your DG nickname. LOL

my address is in the address exchange
http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/

Participants so far!

Zinnialover*
LorraineR*
Oneanjl*
jojoringer*
ozone3*
Beckygardener*
Gourd
TexasLizzy*
TetleyTuna*
aggscott
bluespiral*
Chatnoir*
weedsfree*
Sonoita*
An57*
SanteeLady*
Ailos*
nanniepb*
ginpan*

If you have any questions, suggestions or know any good jokes, drop me a Dmail

Joey

This message was edited May 4, 2008 2:17 PM

This message was edited May 4, 2008 4:22 PM

This message was edited May 4, 2008 5:34 PM

This message was edited May 6, 2008 10:01 PM

This message was edited May 12, 2008 9:15 PM

hey Becky... good news!!

I went to water my seedlings yesterday... and pulled the plastic off the brug seeds and guess what? I have 5/5 seedlings already about an inch tall! I really was trying not to give up on them! lol! and then there they were!
Now I have a question.... there is a little white mold on the top of the soil thta they were in, maybe I kept it all too wet? so, should I repot them? or just try to dry them out a little? I've never dealt with mold on plant soil before...?

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

okay I'll just clip and paste.... :o)

ahhhh.. california where the weather is nice and the real estate isn't...lol

just out checking on all my little plantings, started a veggie garden on the side of the house. Don't know if I will get anything from it, but it looks pretty :o)

also in the back patio area (have a small house with not too much yard space) all my tomato plants are looking healthy...i even have a few blossoms?? does that mean I might get a tomato??? Did I actually grow something without killin' it???

I see the ladies are makin' a new thread for us... good thing I paid attention and didn't post anything there yet :o)... well now I did

DH was home from work for lunch this afternoon and found my order from Gardener's Supply outside before I did...uh oh, more stuff :o) He thinks I'm nuts

I am nuts that why I'm here right...sheesh

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

I got that white mold lookin' stuff on my little seedlings too, they were in one of those Jiffy greenhouse little thingys....

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I heard on one of the threads that if you water with a mix of water and perozide, it keeps it from happening. I've also heard cinniman sprinkled on the soil helps. I think the peroxide is helping, haven't had any since using it. I think you would just need like 10 -1 ratio

Have ya'll noticed how you go around to all the threads and things and then "head home" to this thread so you can just run your mouth and see whatevery one else is doin" Maybe that's just me, and yeah, I'm nuts!!!!

NOw we gotta post new pic tures of our little darlings!!!!

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

lorraine... you are probably the main reason why I wanted to join this group!!

I get all excited in the morning now, thinkin' I got to get to DG see if anyones on...lol
just checked the mail and got more prizes :o) good thing DH has already headed back to work ;o) .... gopt som seeds and two cute little votive holders... I need to take a pic to show ya'll
ugh... how does my camera work??? LOL

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL, yep I run my mouth here too Lorraine ;-). Congrats on your first tomato blossoms Santeelady! My sungold tomatoes that I started from seed have buds on them now, and I’m so excited. I am dealing with a tiny yard too, and I love going out and checking on how all the plants and critters are doing each day. My two remaining fish came out and ate today, and I heard a frog last night, so the surviving pond critters are recovering from the raccoon attacks. Alright, I’m off to the nursery (yep, Regan’s again, Anjl) to buy more ladybugs. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

okay got it to work... heres to introduce my new bumble bee and lady bug!! TAH DAH

Thumbnail by santeelady

more pictures :o) lol

I just love this pix (even tho its a few years old! lol) they stay little forever in pictures! :o)

Thumbnail by 1AnjL

wow! those are cute! where did you get those!?

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

thanks.... ebay$8 for both of them. I really only wanted the bee (melissa means honey bee)

well, they r adorable!

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

gonna go unpack my box, gotta make some space in my little storage box thing....

a little lady bug might be flying away from me soon ;o)

Joey in Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

Well I always forget to post pictures of my daughter Sterling. She says Zeke man always gets all the attention, but thats usually because he is trying to eat, burn or destroy something he shouldn't LOL. This pic is actually about a year old, I can't find her newer ones. But ain't she pretty!

Thumbnail by jojoringer
Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

Jojo your daughter has such a beautiful name and she's very pretty as well!... gotta watch out for the boys I bet!! Love the fuzzy boots too!!

Here's my son Christopher enjoying a nice plate o' spaghetti :o)

Back in from sorting through my box. I think I need to take a break from ordering for awhile. Well, I can still order seeds!!

Thumbnail by santeelady
Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, Santee, here's what you do. Get some kind of storage building for your gardening stuff. Tell everyone it's where you keep stuff that has to start off in the dark so no one will open it. Well, except the mailman, cause that's where he will leave your packages when theyt come.

No one will ever know it is your secret stash. Well, except for when you open the door and everything falls out and hits you on the head and knocks you out. But, you still don't have to worry, cause they'll be so glad you are alive, they'll forget the loot in the storage building!

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

ROTFLMAO!!!! Oh you're good.... cause ya know I actually order so much stuff it could knock me out if it fell on me. Gotta slow down now though. Who am I kidding :o) I'm a nutcase who likes to get stuff in the mail as often as possible.

Off to plant some of my new seeds from today, thelittle guy is home and likes to help do that part! See you all in a few.
-melissa

Washington, DC(Zone 8a)

So is this entire month just sunflowers? Or flowers that happen to grow in the sun (I don't mean that to be facetiously patronizing or anything =P, I just don't have any sunflowers)?

I'd be interested in next months bulk swap though. Is there some official way to "register" for these swaps, or do I just post here?

Thanks!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey how are you, and welcome, welcome. Jo jo will be doing the bulk so, just d mail her and she'll help you with details, etc. If she isn't around (she has a two year old, so telling where she will be)

Seriously, she'll get right back to you and I'm glad you came on when you did, I thinks she's going limit the participants. She's a real sweetheart, so she'll take care of you!!

Washington, DC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the reply! I just noticed the sunflower one is closed anyways, so I guess my first question didn't really matter =P

I d-mailed Jo jo, so hopefully I can join in on the party =]

Ailos, We will definitely get you in on the bulk swap for June... :o) The sunflower one is closed cause Lorraine has already Gathered up the seeds and sent them back out :o) ....I just havent received mine yet! LOL!

Mellissa, I love love love that photo of your son & the spaghetti! LOL! :o)

and JoJo... you better lock that beauty up and hide the key! If not you'll wind up ayoung grammy like me! LOL!
I think you should have named her Gold :o) She's much more precious than sterling :o)

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you tell speghetti night is his favorite... :o)

Just planted a bunch of Primrose seeds, lets keep our finger crossed that I actually get something! LOL They looked real pretty in the ad and I have the perfect little pot planters to put them in once(if) they sprout. This is my first try at flowers from seed. I've bought flower plants but this whole seed idea is waaaaaaaaaaaay less expensive.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the seeds, but next year I'll start them insie or wintersow so I actually have plants to plant. !!! I'm not the most patient (Ok, shut up now)person in the world so I hate watching for them to come up outside!!! Beds look like a bunch of little weeds, lol The ones I grew under lights are a foot tall the seedlings outside are about an inch. I want everything to bloom at the same time, is that just asking too much??????lol

Cept the sunflower seeds, I swear I think they started coming up the day after I planted them and I have a few blooms already! !!!

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

Update Update!! Just went outside to check on all my "babies" annnnnnnnd.......
2 of my red raspberry plants are sprouting & 3 of my black raspberry plants are sprouting too!!! Yippee!!

Downers Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

Santee, once you see those first little sprouts, you'll be hooked! I have over 100 varieties of vegetables and flowers and stuff sprouting all over the place. And then I went and joined this bunch to get even more! And I cannot pass a seed rack in the garden center without checking it out! OK, ok I confess. I've even been buying MORE seeds to give away in these trades and swaps!

lol, I know what ya mean melissa :o)
I have some primrose seed too , I havent started them indoors... was just gonna wait and sow them outside.
Everything I started indoors I put in a lil green house outside...then we had a bad windstorm and the GH blew over and I lost all my seedlings (about 400) so havent had the heart to start new ones this year. I did start the brug seeds that becky gave me...and when I checked on them last night... THEY ALL SPROUTED! whoo hoo! I was almost gonna give up on them! lol!

do you have any superthrive? go get some superthrive and water your new seedlings with it... add some hydrogen peroxide to the water too. I swear by the super thrive!

Anjl, I had the same issue with my little GH! Luckily it was early enough I didn't lose nearly as much as you. But I certainly feel your pain. You baby them and wait and wait and watch as they get stronger everyday then *poof* away it all goes.

My DH rigged up a little bungee system to root the GH's in place and it has worked like a charm. We use those dog tie out stake thingies to anchor it into the ground. So far it has totally withstood 50mph winds without a flap.

Good luck with the brugs - never been able to get them sprouted myself.

hmmm. right now the greenhouse is in my sons room... (much to his horror!) no lil boy likes flowers in his room...especially not as many as I put in there! lol! He's sleeping on the couch now! lol! but now the plants I have in there are almost ready to put in the ground.... maybe I'll try the bungy thing this winter :o) I'm sure it will make my son very happy! LOL!

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

chatnoir- I feel like i've found my second home wth these ladies... you're all so welcoming and cooky like me ;o) I started to buy some seeds in bulk too, so that I can get involved in these trades. DH would probably rather see stuff in the mail coming from friends then all the things he sees coming from my various catalog/website orders..LOL

anjL- so sorry to here about your greenhouse, I'd be so bummed too. Do the Primrose stay small like the ad said? Oh and what is super thrive? I've been using Spray-n-Grow and it has worked wonders on my tomatoes, and fruit tree.

I bought superthrive at walmart. $10 for a lil bottle but you only use a drop of it in your water when you water them... they really do take off! I had some coleus that I was just watering with my bathroom water (cause they are in the bathroom!) and all the others were in my sons room and got the superthrive water... those are 3x the size of the ones that were in the bathroom, now those are getting superthrive too! lol! I swear by the stuff :o)

oh...BTW have you been to www.collectionsetc.com ? wonderful place :o)

This message was edited May 3, 2008 6:42 PM

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Welcome Ailos! These are more great kid pics on this thread everyone. Well, I’m back from Regan’s Nursery. They were sold out of ladybugs though :-(. Somehow I ended up buying stuff anyhow…how does that happen??? Santee, I had a very bad spell of insomnia last summer, and I ordered a bunch of plants online at 2, 3 am, and I am still receiving random shipments of stuff LOL. So, you are definitely not alone there. I was sure I’d gotten all my outstanding orders, but just got some more bulbs last week. I think this is the end of it though..whew ;-).

Mmmm, those wee hour purchases are so much more satisfying LOL! Hey, the way I see it it's much better than QVC - at least I'll get some use out of the garden things!!

Sunny.... Here is a pix of those foster kids you sent my way :o)

Thumbnail by 1AnjL

think I'm feeding them enough?! LOL

Thumbnail by 1AnjL
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

WOW! I go to work outside for 4-5 hours and come back and the new thread has 30+ posts already! Aren't y'all chatty today!

Congrats Anjl on the brug seedlings! You did something right to get 5 out 5 to germinate! You go girl!!! I would try to dry the soil out to get rid of the mold. Or even scrape the top layer of soil out of the pots to get rid of that mold. Some hydrogen peroxide mixed with water couldn't hurt either when you water them the next time. They need sun! Mine is right out in the sun and heat and is totally unfazed by it all. Of course, that might have something to do with the soil mix I make up for my zone here in Florida. Try to keep them all healthy. I have read that some may die unexpectedly, so if you even get one or two to grow into a bush or small tree .... then you can smile and enjoy them due to your success! The evening smell is amazing! I just came in and all I could smell were my blooming brugs! It's intoxicating! REALLY!!!

Everyone's children are adorable and just beautiful. I have teenagers and they HATE to have their photos taken. I did manage to get this photo from last year right after the HS Band Christmas concert. My daughter plays the trumpet and electric bass guitar and for their last musical skit they wear their full marching band uniforms. So I managed to snap a decent photo of all 3 of my kids!

Thumbnail by beckygardener

okay... one more of my valentines roses that just started blooming...they smell soooo nice too! :oD

This is April in Paris (From Regans!)

Thumbnail by 1AnjL

Becky, so I should put the seedlings outside? even at night? it still gets down to about 35* at night

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.