Tuberose Bulbs on ebay

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I had to share this, I just received my ebay purchases today on tuberose bulbs, I ordered 2 lots, one from each seller....and wow, what a difference.

The smallest was $5.01 plus $6.50 shipping TOTAL: $11.51 for 1
Description on the site:
Tuberose BIG Clumps of Fragrant & Exotic DOUBLE Flowers
These clumps are huge and include a nice 'Mother' bulb and 6-10 small attached bulbets that can be taken off and started by themselves. GREAT VALUE !!!

The gigantic one was 3 bulbs for $9.95 plus $6.90 shipping (however I purchased 4 other different bulbs so shipping was 1.25 for each additional auction, so really $2.38 ....TOTAL: $12.33 for 3

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I am so amazed at how large these bulbs are, they are plump and you can even see white/green on the bulb, the other one is kind of shrivelled and very dry. I'm sure it will still grow, I was just totally blown away.

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Lithia, FL(Zone 9a)

Have you had good luck with your tuberose? Any pictures?

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I just got them yesterday, I put some in a pot and some in the ground today, I'll post pictures when they flower but not sure how long that will be.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Here in zone 7A (not hardy) their blooms don't open till Aug/Sept...with your heat you might get them sooner.

This message was edited May 5, 2008 9:50 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just an FYI (they're not in watchdog though) I've contacted, but not ordered yet, from this vendor http://www.tntuberoses.com/ They were quick and thorough in email responses.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the link Chantell, they have the singles on that website too it looks like, I've heard they are supposed to be more fragrant than the doubles which is what I just got.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

That's something I always wanted to know...is it true the singles are more fragrant? I am going to order some tuberoses this week too...Also, is one or the other better for particular zones? Chantell you probably know don't you?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

astcgirl Willowcreek gardens and easy to grow bulbs are sister companies and both have great product!!

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Marieortiz - Good to know, I'll surely be buying from them again.

Robcorreia, I saw it on the Park Seed website, that the single is more fragrant than the double, but who know's maybe it's just a marketing tactic because that's all they sell. Someone with both will have to comment. I only have the double so far.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've heard that too, although I've only ever grown the doubles and they smelled very nice. So I don't think you'll be that disappointed in the fragrance from the doubles, and I like the flowers better. In terms of climate conditions, I think they both like the same sort of conditions and they ought to do great in southern California.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Awesome! I read at my Sunset Western book that single ones are longer-lasting cut flowers. But I wouln't dare cutting anyway...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL - sadly I don't know....I believe they're similar in their likes and dislikes...I may just order some and try to keep them in the ground since that one vendor does that's in my zone.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Chantell, what a disapointment! I thought you were our "expert nose", lol! ; )
I think I'll order both then, sounds like a worthy experiment! (I have only smelled the doubles so far, that's what they sell at flower kiosks over here. Wonderfully fragrant!!! )

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL...had ya'll fooled didn't I? Mercy...I'm not an expert about anything...I assure you!! Learning with the rest of you - hoping to have more thrive then die!!! ^_^

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just another FYI - a "local" (VA) vendor at Green Springs Plant Sale was selling fresh single tuberose bulbs - package of, I think, 5 was $10....they were decent sized. Here's their site...might have to email them as I didn't see where they were listed: http://www.lynnvale.com/

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I hope you picked up some Chantell.....you can never have enough fragrant plants...hehe

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL Yeah, I know!! Forgot to list this link - actually one of our DGers listed an ad in our "classifieds" forum - GREAT prices on sale now: http://www.touchofnature.com/specials/spring1.htm Figured might as well have this thread a complete listing of where to find these great bulbs!!! NOTE (my disclaimer): I'm not affiliated w/any of these vendors just putting a list together astcgirl was kind enough to start. ^_^

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

astcgirl - what was the ebay members ebay name? I'd like to look them up. I buy a lot of bulbs and live plants on ebay and am always interested in good sellers.

Thanks

P.S. Do you happen to know any good ebay sellers for passiflora?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

3G - unless you're looking for a less common type, many DGer's are happy to trade passi cuttings sometimes even plants - just wanted to throw that out there.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi 3gardeners....the seller was willowcreekgardens, I had a look and they don't have any up for auction right now but you could check back. Easy to Grow bulbs are the sister company and they had an ad in the classified section a little while back http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/843706/ they actually had the tuberose on sale too I think. Not sure of any passiflora sellers....haven't quite got into those yet....I need more room....LOL.

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

I just ordered 5 large double tuberose clumps from Caladiums 4 less on the DG marketplace..which is now open for business.
Shipping was very reasonable. The 5 clumps were 10.95 plus priority shipping which I think was about 6.95.
He has a very good rep for sending nice healthy large bulbs and he is listed in the DG watchdog.

I figured if they grow for him in central florida they will grow for me. Will post a pic when I get them.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

The ones I mentioned above http://www.touchofnature.com/specials/spring1.htm are running a special of 25/$12.50 ~ when I emailed him regarding size the (very fast) response was: "Double The Pearl is large like tangerines or a little larger. Mexican Single is between 3 and 4 inches circumference." These are GREAT sizes. s/h for total order of $25 or less is $7 per his email.

Now that's a DEAL....lol!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Everyone post pics of their clumps like astcgirl did (maybe put a coin or soup can in pic for size comparison) so others have an idea of what size is the "norm" - that way everyone can go ISO the most bang for their buck.

Lithia, FL(Zone 9a)

I just ordered the double from Touch of Nature. The total with shipping was $19.50. I will post pictures as soon as they arrive.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Can't wait to see the size on them!!! This will be a great reference thread - astcgirl, great job!!!

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Yes Chantell....I know with buying roses online, I love seeing what everyone elses orders look like when they come in....there is always such a variance with size...I don't always want large bulbs but I do want healthy and plump not shrivelled and dry. Picture's help so much.

Good news is that I have a few green shoots coming up from my Tuberose bulbs....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

With the tuberoses (if I remember correctly) you DO want larger bulbs as those will be the ones that produce bloom stalks for you. The little babies that are generally in a cluster around the "mother" bulb (ahhh the mother ship...LOL) have to mature before they'll produce blooms. Mercy...I believe that's what I'd been told, at least.

My bulbs arrived today! Very quick shipping and delivery from Caladiums 4 Less. I pd him on Monday afternoon...just day before yesterday!
Please excuse the messy table....it's my craft room table!

First pic is the width

Thumbnail by shellabella

this is the height...most are 4 inches high. So they are all about 4inches by 4 inches

Total cost incl shipping priority, 15.95 that's 3.19 each bulb.

Thumbnail by shellabella
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Stella - VERY nice sized clusters!!!! Mercy, wouldn't it be nice if we could do "this" with ALL plant/bulb orders - compare size - shipping (and speed) - price - health...would certainly help in who to order from eh?

Yep! This comparison is a great idea! I like the fact that these come from Florida and the DG marketplace too.
But, if Touch of Nature's bulbs are as big and nice as these then that's a deal worth taking advantage of !
Can't wait to see FH Mom's bulbs from them.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That was why I contacted the vendor I did - not only advertised here on DG but was also a subsribor - THAT always scores "points" with me.

Yep, always nice to buy from a reliable known source!
Better go plant these puppies in the garden now .

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

You're gonna love their scent!!! Have you had them before? They love the heat and humidity so they should go bonkers for you!! Up here we don't see blooms (unless forced indoors, I'd imagine) till Sept-ish. I hope everyone will post pics of their blooms when they're blessed with them.

Never had them before...I have been wanting them for a while and was waiting for a nice price on clumps.
Having a little extra pocket money this month helped too.

It's really hard these days to justify buying plants when things have gotten so expensive. I figure though that I don't go on vaccations, so what the heck...the yard is my "vaccation".

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Shelabella, I was going to post mine but I also bought from caladiums4less so I guess you did it for me as well! : ) I was very happy with the size of those bulbs.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Ditto!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I look at it as therapy...I kid you not. When you get a plant you've wanted it immediately lifts the spirits!!! Does for me at least.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.