Part-shade cascading groundcovers?

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

Hi, all, I have a mothers' day request from my mom (zone 6) for something that will flower and trail over the wall of a raised bed, like carpet phlox, but in half sun/half shade (there are azaleas growing in the bed)... She'd prefer pink or purple flowers... Any exciting thoughts? I'm currently leaning towards either aubretia or campanula poscharskyana, but I'd love to know if you have anything that's worked for you. Thanks, and happy spring!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Meg. Why not phlox? Mine grow exactly in those conditions.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Creeping phlox or the smaller leaved lamb's ear.

Clinton, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Meg, I suggest Soapwort. I planted some last spring,and I love it.It is trailing over a rock wall and it has small pink flowers.It prefers sun but mine is doing fine in semi-shade.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

How about hardy geranium? I have geranium sanguineum var. 'striatum' which is a soft-pink color. It is very pretty and flowers off and on all summer. Mine's in partial shade. I haven't had as much success with creeping phlox in this area, so the geranium might be a good alternative for your mother as well if you already know the phlox doesn't thrive where she wants it.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Wave Petunias. Trim off the back side forces remaining sides to run and fall over the edges. Many colors out there.

Southeastern, CT(Zone 6a)

How about impatients? I put those into a split rock I have in the yard. They grow fast and full in a short amount of time. Love the shade. Come in lots of colors too.

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

I was thinking more of perennials, but at least the first year, it'd be great to fill in with petunias and impatiens! I'll have to see exactly how much shade there is, to see whether it's worth risking getting phlox or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.