Climbing roses

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Can someone make a suggestion of a hardy, disease free light pink climbing rose for zone 8...

Beginner with roses -

Thanks

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd suggest new dawn, but you may want to post this in the rose forum, also.

-T

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

You'd probably like 'Jeanne La Joie'

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49915/

It's very well behaved and compact.

You can get them at Nor'East miniature Roses.

http://www.noreast-miniroses.com/bin/nemr?category=climbers&pagenum=0&cid=1210341559.301&page=jeannelajoie

Don't let the word mini fool you .. it's not a micro mini which is what most people think when they hear miniature roses.

X

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Two suggestions are Climbing Pinkie which is an EarthKind rose and Peggy Martin which is a Hurricane Katrina survivor. Both are extremely hardy and disease free for me in South Texas.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

New Dawn.

I meant to add picture of the rose. However, it will take over your arbor so you need to have something strong for this climber to climb on. Currently, I have 400+ buds and my plant is only about 4 year old. The buds just started open on mine and it will bloom throughout the summer.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Lili is right...they get big

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

Seedpicker, I LOVE your arbor. Can I see the whole picture of it? Not that I have room for another arbor or anything like that, but it's just so pretty. Here is mine.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Hi Lili-
here is the whole thing.

I like yours, too. In fact, I have a garden magazine clipping that I've saved in a scrapbook for years, that had one very similar to yours, only painted white. She had lots of perennials hugged right up to the fencing, and lambs ears at the entrance. The picture was taken with the gate propped open, and it was so inviting. I wanted to step into the picture, lol...

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Porter, TX(Zone 9a)

You might look at a cl. Cecile Brunner. Nice little light pink blossoms. Blooms spring to fall, almost indestructable. They can get huge, but they take pruning well.

I have some Peggy Martins, they're beautiful and they grow like crazy but they're not really light pink, they're more like a bright medium pink, like a Zephrine Drouhin.

In fact I planted some Zephys near the Peggys thinking the Peggys would be lighter and it would be a nice combo but they're almost the same color. :[

Here's Peggy, not at her best:

Thumbnail by Prickle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.