vERMICOMPOSTING-CHAT 2

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/691406/
Thanks GM- should have done this sooner!

Maggie

Eureka, CA

I don't have much of a set up, but I started in late January, I think.... (and I think it's time to harvest the castings!!) but anyway, I was impressed last evening. My 6 year old grandson (who I don't see very often) and his mom came for dinner. I asked him if he wanted to see my worms. I opened up the bin and turned the material a bit. And he started spouting off about compost and worm poop and feeding them! I think I need to go tell his teacher what a good job she's doing!

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

Cool! Train them young and maybe they'll grow up being aware of the benefits of 'worm poop.' Being kids, they probably enjoy being able to say 'poop' too. LOL

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

That is wonderful to hear! My 4 year old granddaughter loves to look at my worms and feed them if they need it. LOL

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds like you are off to a great start there. We have a garden song ("Little Gross Things")that we sang with the kids in environmental education classes. It has a line that about bugs and worms "pooping out soil thats A-1 pure". Needless to say, that line and the accompanying "dance moves" were popular with the 3rd & 4th graders.
:)

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi, All.
I am new to this forum so I want to say to hi all of you. I am just setting up my worm system.
My sister and I did a worm bin a year ago and I fell down on the feeding job. I completely neglected the poor buggers. No food and no winter protection. We had a few nights below 30 here in the Portland, Or. area and I thought the little wigglers were gone. So I ordered a new batch from Gardens Alive, confiscatory prices, but I thought I would get a pound for a restart.
The new worms arrived so I thought I would stick them in the bin my sister and I built last year. I grabbed a garden claw and began stirring the compost in the bottom of the bin. Much to my surprise, it was full of worms. So I just added the new batch to the old ones and began getting serious about the feed and protection.
I will send some pictures of the new system when I get it built. After I get my straw bale and tire gardens planted. And after I get my granddaughters garden planted.
Today I was invited to my 4 year old granddaughters tea party. Anyway it was raining so I of course, couldn't work on my garden. Hey, I'm retired.
God Bless you all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.