Question about Bloom Stalks

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't know if that is the correct terminology, but I have a question.

I have 2 "bloom stalks" that have already bloomed. Do I cut them back to the ground, or leave them? Do more blooms come from them, or from new "bloom stalks"?

Does this make sense?

Thanks, Jennifer

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

If you leave them they will wither and dry up. I usually let grow on for a little to return some energy to the bulb then cut them off. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do, I'll be interested to hear what everyone else does.

Hyannis (Cape Cod), MA(Zone 6a)

I believe the stalks tend to draw energy from the bulb - especially if any of the flowers have gone to seed (the base of the flower at the neck will swell up). Unless I am cross-pollenating them, I cut the stalks leaving about an inch above the neck of the bulb to wither and dry up.
Jennifer, new flowers only come from inside the bulb on new stalks. It takes about 4 leaves to produce a flower stalk for the next blooming time.
After you amaryllis has bloomed, remove the stalk, and continue to water and place in a nice, sunny spot. Your bulb may already show leaves - allow them to grow, grow, grow - this is what gives the bulb energy and nutrients. Then, in the Fall, you can start to withhold watering and allow the leaves to dry and wither. After they are yellow/brown, cut them off. Let bulb rest in a cool spot for about 2 months, then start watering very very sparingly - if you overwater at this time, it will encourage leaves and not flowers.
Hope this helps!
John

Thumbnail by litmusician
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

John, that's exactly what I needed to know! Thanks so much : ) Jennifer

No problem! :-)

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

John, that is just what I needed. Your amaryllis are beautiful.

Thank you, Joan

Thank you, Joan! :-) I love them - all 160 of them!!! :-)

Thumbnail by litmusician

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.