New to Clematis, need advice please.

Parkersburg, WV

Hi all, I am new to Clematis and just bought 4 a few weeks ago from Bluestone Perennials.

They are;
Jackmanii
Killian Donahue
Geurnsey Cream
Ville De Lyon
They all look very healthy and after reading on DG site about young Clematis,(actually Jeanne TX advised another newbie) to bury a pot half way into soil to let small Clematis to get a better root system. I have done this and they are doing great. I read that you should keep the Clematis pinched back to allow it to get a better root system. When and how often should they be pinched back.
Most of mine are less then a foot tall , one of them is at least a foot tall and wanting to stray from it's pot.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have never raised Clematis before but DG is so informitive I thought I could do this with some help from you DGer's.
Thanks taj12.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I am in the same situation. I bought some Clematis liners which are about 4" tall. When I repotted them into larger containers, I noticed that all 3 have a good root system already started. I bought:

Jackmanii
Ernest Markham
Viticella Venosa Violacea

I have never grown Clematis before either. I am in Zone 9b/10a. Should I grow these in the partial shade? I need advice. What is the best fertilizer for them?

I potted them each up in MiracleGro Moisture Control potting mix, with compost and Watersorb Chrystals, and bone meal added into the potting mix. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Pinch them back as often as you notice the vines growing. I'd say keep em at about 6-8 inches. The more you pinch them this first year, the better the root system and you'll have more shoots next spring.

Everyone here recommends Rose or Tomato fertilizer.

Debbie

(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

Last week I ordered the following from different catalogs: ( Not received yet)

Marie Amanda
Niobe
Ramona
Jackmanii
Radar Love

I would also like to hear everyone's opinion on how to's. Beckygardener would love to hear how yours are doing as time passes since we are in the same state.Thank You!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Becky & Gardenia..since you both live in Florida...where the sun is just as intense as my Part of Southern Texas...planting in part sun is best..Most of mine are in morning sun..afternoon shade...choosing a spot in your garden where the roots will STAY MOIST is a good caliber to use when deciding placement..OR where you know you'll not forget to water them...this is why you hear the misinformed rhetoric about "Roots in the Shade" and "Heads in the Sun".."Roots in the Shade" is a feeble way of saying that their roots must stay moist to survive...I even have some planted in pots under my Pergola that receive filter light until about 3 pm and then get full sun..and they are on a drip system and flourish just beautifully!!
Taj...never having bought clematis from Bluestone..can you tell me what size pots they came in? You will LOVE clematis "Ville de Lyon"..she is slower to get established than most the pruning group 3's but what a beauty...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Parkersburg, WV

Thanks Guys I really am glad I posted this since more then myself had this question.

Jeanne, the ones I got from Bluestone were in a 4 inch or so pot. I planted them in Lrge pot about a gallon and half size. I used potting soil and bagged composted cow manure. Then Buried pots about half way in ground.
They seem to have taken right off growing just I want them to have bigger root system when I put them in thier pemanent home.

So do I pinch them back every time they form a "runner" or do I allow a little growth and no blooms?
Thanks taj12

PS I am in zone 6.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Zone 6 is cooler eh?..You can plant in more sun..half a day afternoon as well..as long as the roots stay moist..I am so thrilled that you found dropping the pots in the soil has worked for you..I've been doing it for years and find it the best since you keep the roots confined and insulated they really do grow faster..you can let them grow a bit and even enjoy a bloom..just don't let them get 5-6 feet tall..LOL..Jeanne

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Okay ... someone please explain the reason for planting the pots in the ground. Is that for colder zones to keep them from freezing/dying in winter? I don't know anything about putting pots in the ground. Thanks to anyone who can give me more information!

Parkersburg, WV

beckygardener,
The reason we are talking about potting in the ground in a pot is because when you get some clematis plants they are in small 4" pots with very little room for roots. Jeannetx had advised another DG'er to put the small clematis in at least a one gallon sized pot and bury the pot in the ground for the first summer or even first year and it allows them to get a nice sized root system, and you are allowing the roots to stay cooler and moist than if potted in a pot on a patio or somewhere that will dry extremely fast.
Now if you buy a Clematis from somewhere and they are in a gallon pot already the root ball could be big enough to just plant in the ground where they are going to live. I guess it just give a baby Clematis a better chance of living and being beautiful.

Jeanne thanks for the info your are too kind to help out us Clematis newbies. You are one of the many reasons I love Daves Garden site..

taj12

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Very well put Taj..you are so welcomed..I enjoy passing on what my Mentors in the past have taught me...yes Sunken pots don't dry out as fast as those that are just sitting out in the open air and sun...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.