Mexican Heather

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I have small Mexican Heather plants coming up all over my flower garden. The seeds, probably thanks to honey bees, have scattered everywhere. If anyone is interested in some of these little plants, please let me know. I'll send them out, preferably for trade as I am trying to add to my own collection, but I'll send them for postage to anyone who asks. You can check out my want list, or give me some ideas. Have a great gardening day!

Carla

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Carla, I've been wondering about collecting the seeds from thsee plants. I admit I haven't gotten down on my hands and knees (I might never get up!) to study the seed pods close-up, but I read that you can start these from seed, although I've never seen them offered commercially.

Any hints on seed collecting? Thanks!

The seeds are tiny (about the size of not-so-sharp pencil tip). How's that for a technical description. :)

After the purple flower is nearly dried up, two little seeds will pop up. At first they are green, then after awhile they darken up. They aren't especially easy to collect, unless you are proficient with tweezers. I have small hands and I had to work at it. Of course, harvesting your own is cheaper than buying more plants, yes?

Hope this helps.

Carla

Thanks, Carla - yes it does help a bunch (I especially liked the technical description of the size, LOL!) I can buy them pretty cheap here (around $1.50 for a 3-4" pot), but my mom said 3" pots were going for $9 where she lives. I thought I'd try my hand at collecting the seed and starting some for both of us this year.

They must grow easily as I have them popping up all over my flower garden. The bees or the wind must carry the seeds. Some new plants are easily 3-4 feet away from the parent plants. I'm doing nothing but occasional watering and weeding and God and the sun are doing the rest. The dirt isn't especially great, either. I think you'll have good luck planting them from seed.

I can't believe your mom saw them for $9. That's nuts. They're pretty cheap here, too.

Good luck.

I probably should have posted a new entry under seed saving, but please bear with me, ya'll..... I spent a few minutes yesterday collecting my first "batch" of seed, and came up with another (and hopefully last) question: can you collect them while they're green, or do you need to wait until they're black? (I found a lot of black seed directly on the rock border directly under the branches.....

Collecting the green seeds would be relatively easier (I have small hands, too :) The black ones are very tiny! Took some doing to get them in the envelope.

Thanks!!!!

Smilin32 ,what am I doing wrong w/these? I bought a hanging basket[6.97,a bargain!] .And I've tried it in 3 diff locales , no sun,full sun,and now trying shade or semi-shade.And plant still looks 'sad'.The leaves are brownish on tips and have not seen any more blooms.And are these perennials?I can actually put these in the ground?!These are such beautiful plants!...Jane ...TIA for any info.

Luvublooms, I must say that I'm a little perplexed. They do fine in areas from full sun to partial shade. I have them in both and they're all doing great. I fertilize with a 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer (Peters brand) about once a month. Mine are in the ground, so perhaps your plants are just outgrowing their containers. I do have some mulch around the base of the plants, but not a lot. As I have azaleas in the same garden area, I mulch with pine needles.

On one site, I found this...Metallic beetles sometimes attack it in Summer and require removal. Sevin spray is effective. Never use Sevin dust! Bees are confused by it and carry it back to the hive thinking it is pollen and the entire hive may be killed.

Hope that helps.

Carla

Thanks alot, smilin',for the info! I am not letting them die!

Thanks alot, smilin',for the info! I am not letting them die!

Thanks for everyone who requested plants and or seeds. I still have plenty if anyone is interested.

If you want to know more about it, here you go...

http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/676.html

Nashville, TN

I have cypress vine that hummingbirds love. If your interested in a trade for the Mexican heather please email me.
Thanks

I have appreciated trading with everyone, especially on the Mexican Heather. I don't think I can possibly dig all this up and save it for next year and they're too little to survive even our tame winters.

I still have some plants left if anyone is interested. The small ones are super easy to ship and seem to arrive in great condition. The little ones are only 3-4 inches high, so will winter well indoors, I would imagine, then you can plant them next spring. Well, you'll need a larger pot than the little peat pots. They grow sooooo easily. :)

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

smiln32, I would love to have some of your Mexican Heather to overwinter indoors. I checked you list and I have a few seeds of Aptenia cordifolia (from Chilterns) left. Maybe a few plants--I can't check on this until Friday. Also, may have an iceplant. It's too dark out now to look and I am leaving about 5 am for a day out of town.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Carla, If any left I would be interesed! Check out the old trade list and let me know if anything looks good!!!! sue

Is there anyone I missed here who wanted Mexican Heather? I can't remember if I caught all of you via email or not. If you want some of these plants, send me an email and we'll get something worked out. I still have a number of plants that I can send out. They are just popping up all over. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.