Safety question about Aristolochia Hybred (durior x elegans)

Cerritos, CA

I just purchased this vine from a local supplier here in So. Cal. I was told that it would meet the needs of my planting requirements. Everything I had read in the book's and was told...it looks like a great choice. Then (afterwards) I read that it is poisonous in total.

Specifically the genes, I do not know about the specific plant. Before I decide if I should return the vine or plant it in the yard, I wanted some feedback.

I have two pre-teen boys, two dog's, and one California Desert Turtle that I have had for 47 years who eats anything that grows in our yard.

My question of course...is this Hybrid safe for everyone to be around, for my dog's to nibble at, and for my turtle to consume?

Thanks for your help...this is a great site, I am glad I found it! Now all I have to do is figure it all out...it's HUGE!!!

argtndgo

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I would say it is not safe for anyone or turtle to eat. It is still a Aristolochia and only good for the Pipevine and Polydamas Butterflies to lay their eggs on. Is there anywhere you can plant it where the Turtle can't get to it?? Your kids just need to be told it is poisonous and to not eat it

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I suspect the kids and the dogs will be OK, your boys sound old enough that they wouldn't be eating plants out of the garden anymore, and most of the poisonous things taste bad enough that animals won't eat enough to do any harm, so unless you have a rambunctious puppy who's into everything I suspect the dogs won't bother it. You know your dogs best though, if they're always sampling stuff from the garden then it's probably best not to take chances. I would also worry about the turtle since it does eat lots of greenery. I'm not sure if turtles are poisoned by similar things as dogs and people, maybe it wouldn't be toxic for him, but unless you can find that out for sure I wouldn't take chances.

Cerritos, CA

Thanks for the feedback. I am taking it back to the supplier tomorrow morning and picking up a different wall cover. I don't want to take any chance on loosing my turtle.

argtndgo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.